Navin Chawla takes over CECApril 21st, 2009 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 21 (ANI): Election Commissioner Navin Chawla took over as the Chief Election Commissioner today, succeeding N. Gopalaswami who retired on Monday after serving in the Commission for five years.
Power Secretary V S Sampath also took charge as the Election Commissioner following the elevation of Chawla. Dr. S Y Qureshi already holds the post of Election Commissioner.
Chawla, who was appointed Election Commissioner on May the 16, 2005, will hold charge till July 29, 2010.
The outgoing CEC was given a warm farewell by Chawla and Dr. Qureshi along with the entire staff. Gopalaswami expressed hope that the Election Commission would uphold its sanctity and achieve new heights under the able leadership of Chawla.
The 63-year-old Chawla has taken over the position in the midst of the five-phased Lok Sabha elections and will have to oversee the remaining four phases of the polls.
Chawla, an IAS officer of the 1969 batch, had recently been in the news as Gopalaswami had unilaterally recommended his removal from the Election Commission on grounds of partisanship.
The recommendation was, however, rejected by the President on March 1, 2009.
The Chief Election Commissioner, a Constitutional post, enjoys a term of six years or till the age of 65 years, whichever is earlier.
Chawla has served the government of India in various capacities. He had last been the Secretary in the Ministry of Information and Broadcasting.
He has also worked as the Secretary of the Union Public Service Commission (UPSC).
At the time of emergency, Chawla served as the secretary to the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi.
Chawla has also been the proud recipient of the Mazzini Award, which was presented to him by the Italian Government for his contribution in promoting ties between India and Italy. (ANI)
- Navin Chawla to take over as CEC today - Apr 21, 2009
- Navin Chawla new Chief Election Commissioner of India - Apr 20, 2009
- Navin Chawla to take over as next CEC today - Apr 20, 2009
- Gopalaswami bids adieu, Navin Chawla to assume charge - Apr 20, 2009
- No regrets for taking on Chawla, says Gopalaswami (Interview) - Apr 20, 2009
- Nasim Ahmad Zaidi is new election commissioner - Aug 07, 2012
- Chawla demits CEC office - Jul 29, 2010
- Sampath assumes office as new Chief Election Commissioner - Jun 11, 2012
- S.Y. Quraishi is new chief election commissioner (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Poll chief seeks parity in removal process of commissioners - Jan 27, 2010
- Navin Chawla to be next chief election commissioner - Mar 04, 2009
- Sampath assumes office as Chief Election Commissioner (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- S Y Quraishi assumes charge as 17th CEC - Jul 30, 2010
- Meeting on Tamil Nadu assembly elections Tuesday - Jul 03, 2010
- I wont resign: Navin Chawla - Jan 31, 2009
Tags: chief election commissioner, election commission, elevation, farewell, government of india, italian government, lieutenant governor, lok sabha elections, march 1, midst, ministry of information, navin chawla, New Delhi, power secretary, public service commission, qureshi, s sampath, sanctity, union public service commission, upsc