Navin Chawla new Chief Election Commissioner of IndiaApril 20th, 2009 - 9:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 20 (ANI): Election Commissioner Navin Chawla took over as the Chief Election Commissioner on Monday.
Navin Chawla, who succeeded N. Gopalaswami, will hold charge till July 29, 2010. He took over in the presence of Gopalaswami and the third Election Commissioner, S. Y. Quraishi.
On the occasion, Gopalaswami wished the best of tenure to Chawla.
“Today, I take leave from all of you. I wish Mr. Chawla the best of tenure and a successful completion of the election,” Gopalaswami told mediapersons here.
Chawla, who will be taking over in the midst of the five-phased Lok Sabha elections, will oversee four phases of the polls.
Chawla, an IAS officer of the 1969 batch, had recently been in the news as the Chief Election Commissioner of India had unilaterally recommended his removal from the Election Commission on grounds of partisanship.
The recommendation was rejected by the President on March 1, 2009.
The government has appointed Veeravalli Sundaram Sampath as third election commissioner. (ANI)
- Navin Chawla to take over as CEC today - Apr 21, 2009
- Navin Chawla to take over as next CEC today - Apr 20, 2009
- Navin Chawla takes over CEC - Apr 21, 2009
- No regrets for taking on Chawla, says Gopalaswami (Interview) - Apr 20, 2009
- Gopalaswami bids adieu, Navin Chawla to assume charge - Apr 20, 2009
- Navin Chawla to be next chief election commissioner - Mar 04, 2009
- S.Y. Quraishi is new chief election commissioner (Second Lead) - Jul 28, 2010
- Sampath assumes office as new Chief Election Commissioner - Jun 11, 2012
- EC to visit West Bengal to oversee poll preparedness - Apr 27, 2011
- Sampath assumes office as Chief Election Commissioner (Lead) - Jun 11, 2012
- Harishankar Brahma appointed as Election Commissioner - Aug 24, 2010
- Nasim Ahmad Zaidi is new election commissioner - Aug 07, 2012
- Election Commission in Kolkata to review poll preparedness - Apr 28, 2011
- CEC designate Quraishi promises to 'uphold nation's trust' - Jul 28, 2010
- Poll chief seeks parity in removal process of commissioners - Jan 27, 2010
Tags: chief election commissioner, chief election commissioner of india, election commission, election commissioner of india, lok sabha elections, march 1, midst, navin chawla, New Delhi, polls, presence, quraishi, sampath, tenure