Naval version of India’s indigenous light combat aircraft Tejas begins test flightDecember 9th, 2009 - 1:52 pm ICT by ANI
Vasco (Goa), Dec 9 (ANI): The test flight of India’s naval version of indigenous light combat aircraft Tejas began at the naval air station INS Hansa here on Tuesday.
The LCA, a project of aeronautical development agency (ADA) is the first supersonic fighter craft manufactured indigenously by the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).The aircraft has naval and Indian air force versions.
The HAL has manufactured four aircraft, which are being put under rigorous testing by fighter pilots.
Talking to reporters here, Air vice Marshal Shankar Mani said that the aircraft bridged the gap in the training requirement of the Indian Air Force.
“To bridge the gap in the training requirement of the Indian Air Force, it has the capacities and capabilities of air-to-ground armament work and air-to-air work also and in the due process of training of Indian Air Force fighter pilots have to be progressed through all the envelopes in which the aeroplane operates and they would be proficient to hone their skills,” said Mani.
The first consignment of four aircraft would be delivered by January 2011, followed by eight aircraft in 2012 and another eight in 2013.
The IAF has already ordered 20 LCAs from HAL, which would be delivered by 2013.Defence Ministry began pushing for the LCA after the country lost nearly 200 Russian-made MiG series aircraft in crashes since 1990, blamed by the air force on manufacturing defects. (ANI)
- Indian-made fighter plane Tejas clocks fastest speed - Dec 08, 2009
- 'India can manufacture only 8 Light Combat Aircraft a year' - Dec 08, 2009
- India's own first supersonic fighter Tejas to join Air Force today - Jan 10, 2011
- India test-flies naval version of LCA - Apr 27, 2012
- India test flies naval variant of LCA (Lead) - Apr 28, 2012
- HAL's Baldev Singh was ace fighter pilot - Oct 12, 2011
- India's own first supersonic fighter Tejas handed to Air Force - Jan 10, 2011
- 'Indigenous jet trainer to get initial clearance by July' - Feb 10, 2011
- India's own fighter jet Tejas to join air force Monday - Jan 09, 2011
- GE engine set to power India's indigenous combat fighter (Lead) - Sep 30, 2010
- 123 Hawk trainers to be delivered by 2016: Antony - Aug 17, 2011
- India rolls out indigenous naval combat plane - Jul 06, 2010
- India to test fly naval combat fighter by year-end (Lead) - Jul 06, 2010
- Training of fresh pilots puts Sagar Pawan shows on hold - Sep 03, 2011
- Pilots being made air-ready for INS Vikramaditya - Aug 30, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,