National Disaster Response Force teams deployed in UttarakhandSeptember 25th, 2010 - 7:20 pm ICT by ANI
By Ashish Goel
Tehri (Uttarakhand), Sep. 25 (ANI): Several teams of the National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) have been deployed for rescue and relief work in flood-affected areas of Uttarakhand.
Three teams, comprising 90 NDRF personnel, along with motorboats and other flood and rescue equipment rescued the flood-affected people, and ferried essential food items to the affected villages.
Incessant rainfall in the region has raised the water levels of rivers closer to danger marks in dams, including the Koteshwar and Tehri dam.
The water levels may rise further as excessive water from higher terrains flows downstream.
Floodwaters have also damaged machinery and the dam infrastructure of the Koteshwar hyrdo-power project.
At least two-dozen districts in the low-lying areas along the River Ganges, like Rishikesh, Haridwar, Tehri and Chamauli, have already been affected due to floods.
Earlier, Uttarakhand Chief Minister Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank said that the flood situation in the state is grim and losses of rupees 210 billion have already been incurred, as around 200 villages need to be rebuilt.
The monsoon this year has deluged several parts of India like Haryana, Punjab, Uttar Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh states, causing heavy devastation to life and property. (ANI)
- Water level continues to rise in dams in Uttarakhand - Sep 21, 2010
- Tehri water rises, Yamuna abates in Haryana (Roundup) - Sep 21, 2010
- As Tehri waters rise, green activist warns of bigger dangers - Sep 20, 2010
- Lakhs hit as Tehri waters rise, Yamuna and Gandak in spate (Roundup) - Sep 20, 2010
- Tehri waters reach danger mark, 63 killed in Uttarakhand - Sep 20, 2010
- Landslides, flash floods damage roads in Uttarakhand - Sep 23, 2010
- Assam flood situation worsens, toll rises to 18 - Jun 28, 2012
- Haryana calls in army even as floodwater recedes (Lead) - Sep 22, 2010
- UNICEF rushes relief to flood-hit Indian states - Sep 25, 2010
- Rain fury in north India, rivers in spate (Roundup) - Sep 23, 2010
- Central government deploys flood relief teams - Sep 20, 2010
- Over a million homes without power in storm-hit US states - Aug 31, 2012
- Rains abate in Uttarakhand, over 50 dead - Sep 20, 2010
- Hindustan Construction, Alstom jointly bag Rs.18 bn project - Jun 27, 2011
- Tourists stranded in Uttarakhand - Sep 21, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,