National Conference activist shot in KashmirFebruary 5th, 2011 - 10:40 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Feb 5 (IANS) An activist of Jammu and Kashmir’s ruling National Conference was critically injured after being shot by separatist guerrillas Saturday in Pulwama district of south Kashmir, police said.Suspected guerrillas barged into the house of Farooq Ahmad Sheikh, son of Abdul Gani Sheikh in Koil village in Pulwama, 39 km from Srinagar and shot him at close range.
“Sheikh was immediately shifted to the district hospital in Pulwama town where doctors said he had sustained a critical gunshot wound and referred him to Srinagar for specialised treatment,” a police officer said.
Two sisters were Tuesday killed by unidentified gunmen in Sopore town in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district, 54 km from Srinagar.
Both mainstream and separatist leaders had condemned the Sopore twin murder.
Although police blamed the Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) oufit for the murder, the LeT issued a statement denying any involvement in the incident and sought an impartial probe into it.
A 24-year old youth identified as Manzoor Ahmad Magray was killed in Chogal village in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district late last night when he walked into an army ambush.
An FIR has already been lodged in the youth’s killing besides a magisterial probe which would be conducted by the additional district magistrate.
Chief Minister Omar Abdullah visited the bereaved family Saturday afternoon to condole the death of the youth.
- Kashmir civilian killed, murder case against army men (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Protests after Kashmir civilian killed in army firing - Feb 05, 2011
- After Twitter comment, Omar drives to Handwara (Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Abdullah visits bereaved family, condoles youth's death (Second Lead) - Feb 05, 2011
- Army to conduct own probe into Kashmir ambush killing - Feb 07, 2011
- Protest in Kashmir after young man killed in army firing - Feb 06, 2011
- Guerrillas barge into house, kill one in Kashmir - Jun 15, 2011
- Militants kill cop in Kashmir - Jun 08, 2011
- Omar calls civilian killing 'another needless death' - Feb 05, 2011
- Condemn civilian killing by guerrillas, Omar dares separatists - Jul 25, 2011
- Gurrillas shoot dead two policemen in Kashmir (Second Lead) - Jul 03, 2012
- Militants enter home, kill father, son in Kashmir - May 28, 2011
- Interlocutors visit families of slain sisters, Handwara youth - Feb 24, 2011
- Army to conduct its own probe in Kashmir youth killing: Army Chief - Feb 06, 2011
- Kashmir protests murder of two sisters in Sopore - Feb 04, 2011
Tags: ahmad, army ambush, bereaved family, chief minister, close range, district 54, district magistrate, farooq, gunshot wound, impartial probe, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, lashkar e taiba, north kashmir, saturday afternoon, separatist guerrillas, separatist leaders, south kashmir, srinagar, unidentified gunmen