National Advisory Council first meeting in Delhi todayJune 10th, 2010 - 1:45 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, June 10 (ANI): The newly constituted National Advisory Council (NAC) headed by Congress President Sonia Gandhi will have its first meeting here on Thursday.
The Central Government had constituted the 14-member National Advisory Council on June 1.
The National Advisory Council is expected to advise the Centre on various social programmes like food security and rural development.
After the meeting today, the members will call on Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
Sonia Gandhi, who had resigned from the National Advisory Council in March 2006 following office-of-profit controversy, was again named its Chairperson on March 29 2006.
The members, representing experts from diverse fields, include Agricultural scientist M S Swaminathan and social activist Aruna Roy.
Music exponent and Rajya Sabha member Ram Dayal Munda, Planning Commission member Narendra Jadhav, North-East Hill University Vice Chancellor Pramod Tandon and ecologist Madhav Gadgil are also members of the Council.
It also includes social worker Deep Joshi, businesswoman Anu Aga, women’s rights activist Farah Naqvi, former bureaucrat-turned-rights activist Harsh Mander, Mirai Chatterjee of Ahmedabad-based Self Employed Women’s Association (SEWA), economist-activist Jean Dreze, retired bureaucrat N C Saxena and economist A K Shiva Kumar.
Roy, Dreze, Saxena and Shiva Kumar were members of the National Advisory Council during UPA-I.
Rita Sharma, an IAS officer, who retired as Rural Development Secretary earlier this year, has been appointed as the Member Secretary.
The term of National Advisory Council members will be for one year but it could be extended. (ANI)
- Swaminathan, Mander in new National Advisory Council (Lead) - Jun 01, 2010
- PM nominates 14 members for National Advisory Council - Jun 01, 2010
- 'Political appointees for advisory council soon' - May 31, 2010
- National Advisory Council gets two new members - Jun 29, 2012
- PM nominates National Advisory Council members - Jun 02, 2010
- National advisory council to focus on food security bill - Jun 10, 2010
- Sonia to take up poverty issue amid government flip-flop - Oct 10, 2011
- Poverty has increased in India: Top Adviser - Sep 25, 2011
- Politics of hatred has triumphed in Gujarat: Harsh Mander (A decade since Gujarat riots) - Feb 26, 2012
- Poverty line issue sorted out, new definition soon - Oct 03, 2011
- President approves Tendulkar, Rekha's nomination to Rajya Sabha (Lead) - Apr 27, 2012
- 'Food security bill must address nutrition needs of poor' - Jun 14, 2010
- About 70 percent of India is poor: Top adviser - Mar 25, 2012
- Sonia urged to stop new n-plants, evolve energy policy - Aug 24, 2012
- Government didn't defend communal violence bill draft: NAC member - Oct 14, 2011
Tags: advisory council members, agricultural scientist, commission member, congress president sonia gandhi, dayal, dr manmohan singh, harsh mander, jadhav, jean dreze, madhav gadgil, manmohan singh, member secretary, national advisory council, rajya sabha member, rights activist, saxena, shiva kumar, social activist, social programmes, vice chancellor