Nation pays tribute to Nehru on his 44th death anniversaryMay 27th, 2008 - 12:34 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 27 (ANI): Several leaders paid homage to the first Prime Minister of India, Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru, on his 44th death anniversary across the country on Tuesday.
Vice Presdient Hamid Ansari and UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi paid floral tributes at Shantivan, the memorial of Pandit Nehru, as priests recited hymns from sacred texts.
Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil, Petroleum Minister Murli Deora, Minister of State for Urban Development Ajay Maken, Chairman of National Commission for Scheduled Caste Buta Singh and senior Congress leaders Motilal Vohra and J P Aggarwal were also present on the occasion.
An all religion prayer meeting was organised in the premises of the memorial. A speech given by the late Nehru was also played at the end of prayer.
A pivotal figure in independence movement, Nehru was born on November 14, 1889 in Allahabad.
He was also a key figure in international politics in the post-war period, and was one of the founding figures of the non-aligned movement.
Nehru graduated from Cambridge University, and returned to India in 1912.
Popularly referred to as Panditji, Nehru was also a writer, scholar and amateur historian.
The son of wealthy barrister and politician Motilal Nehru, Nehru became one of the youngest leaders of the Indian National Congress.
He was jailed seven times.
After independence, Nehru served as the countrys first Prime Minister from August 1947 to May 1964.
His most famous speech is the Tryst With Destiny address to the Constituent Assembly in New Delhi on the night of August 14 and August 15, 1947.
Nehru passed away in 1964. (ANI)
- Nation pays tribute to Pandit Nehru on his 121st birth anniversary - Nov 14, 2010
- Nation pays tribute to Nehru on his 46th death anniversary - May 27, 2010
- Nation pays tribute to Nehru on his 45th death anniversary - May 27, 2009
- Nations pays homage to Pandit Nehru on his 119th birth anniversary - Nov 14, 2008
- President, Prime Minister pay tribute to Pt. Nehru on his 121st birth anniversary - Nov 14, 2010
- Homage to Nehru on 48th death anniversary - May 27, 2012
- Tributes offered to Nehru on his 120th birth anniversary - Nov 14, 2009
- President Patil leads nation in remembering Pandit Nehru on his 118th birth anniversary - Nov 14, 2007
- Nations pays homage to Pandit Nehru on his 118th birth anniversary - Nov 14, 2007
- Singapore honours Nehru as friend, visionary - Nov 20, 2011
- India's oldest woman photojournalist recalls first I-Day shots (With Image) - Aug 20, 2010
- When Indira's birth drew long faces! (Excerpts from the book '24 Akbar Road') - Nov 18, 2011
- Various events to mark Motilal Nehru's 150th birth anniversary - Jun 09, 2012
- 'Children's Day' celebrated at Nehru's ancestral home - Nov 14, 2009
- Homai Vayarawalla, grand old dame of Indian photo-journalism, passes away (Obituary) - Jan 15, 2012
Tags: amateur historian, congress leaders, constituent assembly, death anniversary, first prime minister of india, floral tributes, hamid ansari, indian national congress, jawahar lal nehru, nation pays tribute, november 14 1889, pandit jawahar lal nehru, panditji, pivotal figure, prayer meeting, prime minister of india, sonia gandhi, tryst with destiny, union home minister, vice presdient