Nation pays tribute to Ambedkar on his 118th birth anniversaryApril 14th, 2009 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 14 (ANI): The nation on Tuesday paid rich tribute to Dr. Bhim Rao Ambedkar on his 118th birth anniversary.
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) prime ministerial candidate L K Advani came together at a function and paid homage to Ambedkar.
Several functions are being organised in different parts of the country to mark the occasion.
Dr. Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar was an Indian jurist, scholar, Bahujan political leader and a Buddhist revivalist.
Ambedkar spent his life fighting untouchability and the Indian caste system.
He is also credited for having sparked off the Dalit Buddhist movement and was honoured with the Bharat Ratna for his contribution to Indian society.
Overcoming numerous social and financial obstacles, Ambedkar became one of the first “untouchables” to obtain a college education in India.
He went on to pursue higher studies in the United States and England, where he earned law degrees and multiple doctorates for his study and research in law, economics and political science.
Returning home as a famous scholar, Ambedkar practiced law for a few years before he began publishing journals that advocated political rights and social freedom for India’s untouchables. (ANI)
- Nation pays homage to Bhim Rao Ambedkar on his 55th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Mayawati unveils two statues of B. R. Ambedkar on his 54th death anniversary - Dec 06, 2010
- Nation pays homage to Ambedkar on his 119th birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2010
- Nation pays tribute to Ambedkar on his 117th birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2008
- Ambedkar Jayanti celebrated; Dalits stage sit-in (Lead) - Apr 14, 2012
- B.R. Ambedkar remembered on his 53rd death anniversary in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2009
- Nation pays tribute to B R Ambedkar on his 52nd death anniversary - Dec 06, 2007
- Nation pays homage to Bhimrao Ambedkar on his 120th birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2011
- Maharashtra celebrates Ambedkar's birth anniversary - Apr 14, 2012
- Inheriting injustice: A chilling film on India's Dalits - Jan 12, 2012
- Land 'captured' for Ambedkar memorial in Mumbai - Dec 06, 2011
- Name Mumbai station after Ambedkar, says Congress - Jul 07, 2011
- Panel formed to set up Ambedkar centre, memorial in Delhi - Nov 30, 2011
- Gadkari includes Dalits in party agenda - Feb 17, 2010
- Mayawati readies for first appearance after poll debacle - Apr 14, 2012
Tags: bharat ratna, bharatiya janata party, birth anniversary, buddhist movement, doctorates, dr manmohan singh, education in india, financial obstacles, indian caste system, l k advani, law degrees, law economics, manmohan singh, nation pays tribute, prime ministerial candidate, ramji, revivalist, rich tribute, social freedom, untouchability