Nation pays homage to Indira GandhiOctober 31st, 2008 - 4:30 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Oct 31 (ANI): President Pratibha Patil and Vice President Mohammad Hamid Ansari led the nation in paying homage to Indira Gandhi on her 24th anniversary of the Martyrdom here today.
Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh and the UPA Chairperson Sonia Gandhi also paid floral tributes at Shakti Sthal.
Indira Gandhi was assassinated by two of her Sikh bodyguards at her residence on October 31, 1984.
Indira Gandhi was the Prime Minister of India from 1966 to 1977 and again from 1980 to 1984.
She was elected to Parliament for the first time in 1964 and also served as the country’’s Minister of Information and Broadcasting in the government of Lal Bahadur Shastri.
She is noted for declaring a state of emergency after a court struck down her election in 1975, and also for her handling of the ”Operation Blue Star” against Sikh militants.
Indira Gandhi was born in Allahabad in 1917 and was the only child of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’’s first Prime Minister and Kamala Nehru.
She was the recipient of India’’s highest civil award, Bharat Ratna. (ANI)
- Indira Gandhi's birth anniversary celebrated - Nov 19, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Indira Gandhi on her 93rd birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
- President, PM pay homage to Indira Gandhi - Oct 31, 2010
- Nation pays homage to Indira Gandhi on her 25th death anniversary - Oct 31, 2009
- Nation remembers 'Iron Lady' Indira Gandhi - Oct 31, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Indira Gandhi on her birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2008
- Milestones in Indira Gandhi's life - Oct 27, 2009
- Nation pays tribute to Indira Gandhi on her 26th death anniversary - Oct 31, 2010
- Indira's leadership spirit sown in Santiniketan: Biographer - Nov 17, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Indira Gandhi on her 92nd birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2009
- Why a grieving Indira Gandhi joined Shastri's cabinet - Aug 23, 2012
- Allahabad celebrates birth anniversary of Lal Bahadur Shastri - Oct 02, 2010
- India remembers Indira on 25th death anniversary - Oct 31, 2009
- Rae Bareilly remembers Indira Gandhi on 25th death anniversary - Oct 31, 2009
- New Indira Gandhi biography casts light on life, politics - Nov 12, 2011
Tags: allahabad, blue star, bodyguards, dr manmohan singh, floral tributes, indira gandhi, jawaharlal nehru, kamala nehru, lal bahadur, manmohan, manmohan singh, martyrdom, mohammad hamid ansari, paying homage, president mohammad, prime minister of india, shakti sthal, sikh militants, sonia gandhi, state of emergency