Nation pays homage to Indira Gandhi on her birth anniversaryNovember 19th, 2008 - 4:15 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 19 (ANI): Nations pays homage to former Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on her 91st birth anniversary today.
The National integration week also begins on this day.
Union Home Minister Shivraj Patil will administer the National Integration pledge marking the start of the ”Quami Ekta” week.
He had asked the state governments to organise meetings, symposium, seminars, special literary and cultural functions and programmes during the week so that the message of communal harmony and national integration could permeate every part of the country.
Indira Gandhi was born in Allahabad in 1917 and was the only child of Jawaharlal Nehru, India’’s first Prime Minister and Kamala Nehru.
She was the recipient of India’’s highest civil award, Bharat Ratna.
Indira Gandhi was the Prime Minister of India from 1966 to 1977 and again from 1980 to 1984.
She was elected to Parliament for the first time in 1964 and also served as the country’’s Minister of Information and Broadcasting in the government of Lal Bahadur Shastri.
She is noted for declaring a state of emergency after a court struck down her election in 1975, and also for her handling of the ”Operation Blue Star” against Sikh militants.
Indira Gandhi was assassinated by two of her Sikh bodyguards at her residence on October 31, 1984. (ANI)
- Indira Gandhi's birth anniversary celebrated - Nov 19, 2011
- Nation pays homage to Indira Gandhi on her 93rd birth anniversary - Nov 19, 2010
- Indira's leadership spirit sown in Santiniketan: Biographer - Nov 17, 2011
- Nation pays tribute to Indira Gandhi on her 26th death anniversary - Oct 31, 2010
- Nation pays homage to Indira Gandhi - Oct 31, 2008
- Milestones in Indira Gandhi's life - Oct 27, 2009
- New Indira Gandhi biography casts light on life, politics - Nov 12, 2011
- Amitabh pleads innocence in 1984 anti-Sikh riots - Dec 01, 2011
- Indira Gandhi, Mother Teresa among Time's 25 most influential women - Nov 20, 2010
- Opposition mounts to Amitabh's plea on anti-Sikh riots - Dec 16, 2011
- Sikh group protests Sonia Gandhi's presence in US - Mar 03, 2012
- Sonia Gandhi receives award on behalf of Indira Gandhi - Jul 25, 2011
- President, PM pay homage to Indira Gandhi - Oct 31, 2010
- Recent Sikh history: An inside story (IANS Book Review) - Jun 17, 2010
- Sonia sets several records in Congress history - Sep 02, 2010
Tags: allahabad, birth anniversary, blue star, bodyguards, communal harmony, former prime minister, indira gandhi, jawaharlal nehru, kamala nehru, lal bahadur, meetings symposium, national integration, prime minister indira, prime minister of india, quami ekta, ratna, sikh militants, state governments, state of emergency, union home minister