Nation celebrates MahashivratriFebruary 23rd, 2009 - 1:27 pm ICT by ANI
Moradabad (UP)/Bangalore, Feb 23 (ANI): Mahashivratri is being celebrated with religious fervour throughout the country today.
On the occasion, devotees in Moradabad, Uttar Pradesh dressing up as ghosts and danced on the streets.
Curious onlookers dotted both sides of the streets to view this Shiva Tandava Nritya.
Devotees observed a fast on this day with some of them not even partaking a drop of water. They also keep a vigil all throughout the night.
Meanwhile, the Government of Karnataka has placed an order for 50, 000 litres of holy water (Gangajal) from the River Ganga to be distributed in Shiva Temples across the state.
The Government of Karnataka presently ruled by the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) is all set to distribute the holy water on the day of Shivratri.
It has also selected five major Shiva Temples in each Taluk (sub division of a District) where ten litres of holy water will be dispatched for performing rituals and also to distribute among the devotees.
This is part of Muzrai Minister Krishnaiah Shetty’’s initiative to make this year’’s Shivaratri celebrations unique.
“We have decided to celebrate this festival significantly by way of performing Abhishekam in all five temples in every Taluk of Karnataka,” said Shetty, Minister of Muzrai Department.
However, the Congress believes that the BJP-ruled Government is trying to gather votes in the upcoming elections through this.
“That’’s very good that they are giving the holy water on this special occasion of Shivratri. I”ve never heard like that,” said Saurav Roy, a devotee. (ANI)
- Fasting, prayers mark Mahashivratri in Delhi - Mar 02, 2011
- India celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers (Roundup) - Mar 02, 2011
- Delhi celebrates Maha Shivaratri with offerings, fasts and prayers - Feb 20, 2012
- Devotees throng Orissa temples on Shivratri - Mar 02, 2011
- One lakh devotees worship god Shiva in Bangalore - Feb 20, 2012
- One lakh devotees at Odisha's Lingaraj temple - Feb 20, 2012
- Hindus celebrate Maha Shivratri - Mar 02, 2011
- BJP minister distributes 'Ganga jal' on Shivaratri - Feb 23, 2009
- Delhi celebrates Mahashivratri with fasting and prayers - Feb 12, 2010
- Lucknow celebrates Mahashivratri with fervour - Mar 02, 2011
- Sonal Mansingh's disciple leads Pashupatinath's prayers in Nepal - Mar 02, 2011
- Hindus to celebrate Shivaratri in Pakistan - Feb 17, 2012
- Diwali in jail for Yeddyurappa - Oct 24, 2011
- Devotees throng Shiva temples, celebrate 'Shravan' - Jul 16, 2011
- Mahashivaratri celebrated across India - Feb 20, 2012
Tags: bharatiya janata party, bjp, curious onlookers, devotees, drop of water, gangajal, government of karnataka, holy water, mahashivratri, moradabad, religious fervour, rituals, saurav, shiva, shivaratri, shivratri, special occasion, upcoming elections, uttar pradesh, vigil