Nation celebrates Eid with fervourNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:13 am ICT by admin
Celebrations started after confirmation was received on the beginning of the month of Shawwal.
Muslims in Kerala and some other parts of the country celebrated the festival on Saturday, and gathered in mosques and specially set up ‘Idgahs’ to offer namaz.
Id ul Fitr is celebrated on the last day of the holy month of Ramzanon during which devout Muslims abstain from eating and drinking from dawn to dusk.
President Pratibha Patil, Vice President Hamid Ansari and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have extended their warm wishes on the eve of Eid-ul-Fitr.
“On the joyous occasion of Id-ul-Fitr, I convey my warm wishes to all my citizens in India and abroad,” the President said in her message.
“The spirit of generosity and charity associated with this festival promotes the feeling of brotherhood among people and help usher in a humane society,” Ansari said.
United Progressive Alliance chairperson Sonia Gandhi has also greeted Muslims on the occasion.
“On the occasion of Eid-ul-Fitr, I would like to greet all our Muslims brothers and sisters,” Gandhi said in a statement on Saturday.
Meanwhile, security has been beefed up at all the mosques after at the October 11 blast at the Sufi shrine of Khwaja Mohiuddin Chisti in Ajmer. (ANI)
- President, PM greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 19, 2012
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- President Mukherjee greets nation on Eid - Aug 19, 2012
- Delhi celebrates Eid with feasting and fervour - Aug 20, 2012
- PM visits Ansari, greets him on Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- President, prime minister greet nation on Eid (Lead) - Aug 30, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Meghalaya - Aug 31, 2011
- Vice President greets people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 20, 2009
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- President, PM, Sonia greet nation on Eid - Nov 06, 2011
- President Patil, Vice President Ansari greet people on Id-ul-Fitr - Sep 10, 2010
- Eid celebrated in Delhi - Aug 31, 2011
- Assam celebrates Eid with fervour - Aug 31, 2011
- Eid celebrated in Tamil Nadu - Sep 10, 2010
Tags: ajmer, ansari, congregational prayer, dawn to dusk, devout muslims, eid ul fitr, joyous occasion, mosques, namaz, pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, progressive alliance, sonia gandhi, ul, vice president