Nation celebrates Dussehra with full fervourNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:36 am ICT by admin
Meanwhile, President Pratibha Patil and Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have greeted fellow citizens on the occasion of Dussehra.
In her message, Patil said: “On the auspicious occasion of Dussehra, I send my greetings and good wishes to all my fellow citizens in India and abroad.”
“May peace, goodwill and prosperity abound in the country and may we all work for the unity and well being of our nation,” she added.
Manmohan Singh in his message said that Vijayadashmi is a festival amass the length and breadth of the country, which signifies the triumph of good over evil.
“It is an occasion to foster goodness within and to radiate peace and harmony.
“May the festivals of Dussehra and Durga Puja bring health, happiness and prosperity to all,” the Prime Minister added.
According to Hindu mythology, the ten-headed Ravana abducted Sita, Lord Ram’s consort. Ram went to war with Ravana to release his wife from captivity and killed the demon-king, his son Meghnad and brother Kumbhkarna.
Ram’s victory over Ravana is described as the triumph of good over evil and is celebrated every year as Dussehra.
Dussehra is also interpreted as “Dasa-Hara”, which means the slaying of the ten heads of Ravana, denoting abdication of ten vices –passion, pride, anger, greed, infatuation, lust, hatred, jealousy, selfishness and crookedness. (ANI)
- President Patil greets nation on Dusshera - Oct 08, 2008
- Ravana in high demand on Dussehra for different reasons - Oct 17, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Dussehra, Durga Puja - Oct 05, 2011
- Pomp and splendour mark beginning of Dussehra festivities in Mysore - Sep 20, 2009
- Dussehra being celebrated throughout India - Oct 17, 2010
- Dussehra greetings to all Indians from President Pratibha Patil - Oct 16, 2010
- Recession affects sale of effigies during "Dussehra" festival in Jaipur - Sep 26, 2009
- Durga Puja, Navratri festivities conclude - it's Dussehra! - Oct 06, 2011
- President greets nation on Dussehra - Oct 16, 2010
- President, PM greet nation on Diwali - Oct 25, 2011
- Diwali being celebrated with traditional fervour and zeal across India - Nov 05, 2010
- On Dussehra, kill evil within you: Bollywood to fans - Oct 06, 2011
- President greets people on Gudi Padwa, Navreh - Apr 03, 2011
- President, PM greet nation on harvest festivals (Lead) - Apr 13, 2011
- 11-headed effigy of Ravana burnt in Bihar - Sep 29, 2009
Tags: abound, auspicious occasion, citizens, demon king, durga puja, fellow, good over evil, goodwill, greetings, hindu mythology, lord ram, peace, pratibha patil, prime minister manmohan singh, prosperity, ravana, security arrangement, triumph