Nation celebrates Buddha PurnimaMay 27th, 2010 - 12:48 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, May 27 (ANI): The nation is celebrating Buddha Purnima, the birth anniversary of Lord Buddha, today.
In Bihar, the event is celebrated with both religious fervour and serenity. The main function is organized at Bodha Gaya where Lord Budhha was gained enlightenment under a Pipal tree.
Buddhist from several countries have arrived in Bodh Gaya to participate in mass a special prayer on the occasion.
Tibetan spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama, will participate in a function in Patna.
He will also inaugurate the Buddha Smirti Park, which is spread over 22 acres and has been built at the cost of Rs 1.25 billion.
Delegates from Thailand, Sri Lanka, Japan and Myanmar will also attend the park’s inauguration.
In Uttar Pradesh, pilgrims from across the globe have thronged Sarnath, Kushinagar and Kapilvastu palces associated with Lord Buddha, where special prayers are being organised.
In Meghalaya, the Buddhist community ahs organised the platinum jubilee celebration of the Shillong Buddhist Temple.
State Governor Dr R S Moosahari will inaugurate the programme this afternoon. Several cultural programmes have also been scheduled.
Buddha Purnima falls on the Full Moon day. This day holds special significance for followers of Lord Buddha as all three main events of his life took place on the same day.
The message of Lord Buddha inspires to follow the path of truth, peace and compassion and serve humanity to affirm our faith in the eternal values of non-violence and universal brotherhood. (ANI)
- Buddha Purnima celebrated at Bodh Gaya - May 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama, Karmapa lead Buddha Purnima celebrations in India (Roundup) - May 27, 2010
- Devotees celebrate Buddha Purnima in Uttar Pradesh - May 27, 2010
- Dalai Lama inaugurates Buddha Smriti Park in Patna - May 27, 2010
- Kushinagar in UP to have international airport - Jul 18, 2012
- Dalai Lama inaugurates Patna's Buddha Smriti Park (Lead) - May 27, 2010
- Buddhists to throng Bodh Gaya Thursday for special rites - Dec 27, 2010
- Rename Gaya airport after Buddha: Nitish - Jun 11, 2011
- Buddhist monks to get ID cards in Bodh Gaya - Sep 02, 2011
- Monks upset over Dalai Lama not raising temple issue - May 28, 2010
- Wasps sting tourists in Bodh Gaya - Mar 23, 2012
- Buddha Purnima celebrated with great fervour in Delhi - May 27, 2010
- Jade Buddha to visit India in November 2012 - Nov 29, 2011
- Buddhist monks in India pray for quake victims - Mar 13, 2011
- Scholars discuss relevance of Buddha in modern world - Nov 27, 2011
Tags: birth anniversary, buddha purnima, buddhist community, buddhist temple, budhha, dalai lama, eternal values, full moon day, gaya, kapilvastu, kushinagar, lord buddha, pipal tree, platinum jubilee, religious fervour, shillong, special prayer, state governor, tibetan spiritual leader, universal brotherhood