Nasik onion traders on strike, prices drop in MaharashtraJanuary 10th, 2011 - 7:10 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai/New Delhi, Jan.10 (ANI): Onion traders in Nasik, Maharashtra, are on strike, even as the prices of the product have come down drastically.
Union Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar welcomed the drop in onion prices, saying that it “is a good sign”.
In fact, in Navi Mumbai, farmers have brought their produce directly to the APMC Market of Vashi and started selling onions at prices as cheap as just Rs.10 per kilogram.
The farmers collectively hired around 160 trucks from Nashik and surrounding districts and reached the market.
On Sunday, onion traders in Nasik District decided not to purchase onions for two days - Monday and Tuesday — from Agricultural Produce Market Committees (APMC) to protest state government’s directive that onions should not sell over Rs.40 per kg.
The Nashik District Onion Traders Association met in Umrane and took this decision, said Suresh Parikh, an onion trader.
Income tax department yesterday raided houses and godowns of four onion traders — two in Lasalgaon and one each at Nashik and Pimpalgaon, but did not find evidence of onion hoarding.
The APMC will open tomorrow, and auctions of fresh incoming stocks would be held. (ANI)
- Onion prices shoot up in Maharashtra - Sep 14, 2011
- Nashik onion farmers demand lifting of export ban - Feb 10, 2011
- Onion prices fall in Nashik, Azadpur: Government - Dec 21, 2010
- Onion export ban to be reviewed - Sep 19, 2011
- Wholesale onion prices crash 50 percent in north Karnataka - Dec 22, 2010
- Onion prices decline following raids on godowns in UP - Jan 08, 2011
- Nasik farmers angry at government's decision to ban onion exports - Dec 22, 2010
- Nashik onion markets to re-open Wednesday - Sep 20, 2011
- Onion export ban lifted - Sep 20, 2011
- Onion prices set to soon decline in Karnataka - Dec 22, 2010
- Onion traders in Delhi call off strike (Lead) - Jan 12, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to preside over meet on inflation - Jan 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh holds meeting on price rise - Jan 11, 2011
- Peeved at raids, Delhi onion traders continue strike - Jan 12, 2011
- Delhi onion traders on strike from Wednesday - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: agriculture minister, apmc, auctions, committees, farmers, income tax department, mumbai, nasik maharashtra, New Delhi, onion prices, onions, produce market, rs 40, sharad pawar, state government, stocks, traders association, trucks, vashi