Narendra Modi given clean chit in Godhra riot caseDecember 3rd, 2010 - 9:51 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Dec.3(ANI): The Supreme Court (SC) appointed Special Investigation Team (SIT) is reported to have given a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Narendra Modi has long been alleged to connive with 62 others including some cabinet colleagues, police officials and bureaucrats in aiding and abetting the post-Godhra program that claimed 1000 lives in 2002.
The SIT grilled Narendra Modi a few months ago after the SC directed it to enquire into the allegations by the wife of a former Congress MP who was killed in the carnage along with 69 others. According to some newspaper reports the SIT gave a clean chit to Modi as it couldn’t find evidence to substantiate his alleged connivance in the riots.
Arun Jaitley, leader of the opposition in Rajya Sabha, said, ” The matter is sub-judice and we can’t be sure of what the SIT has said.”
He added that if the Modi’s reported acquittal by the SIT is true than their long-standing stand is finally vindicated. (ANI)
- Amicus curiae's report does not matter: BJP - May 08, 2012
- Amicus curiae report on Gulberg points at Modi, Congress attacks BJP (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Godhra riots : Supreme Court to hear SIT report on Modi - Aug 19, 2010
- Top cop implicates Modi in Gujarat riots (Roundup) - Apr 22, 2011
- Zakia seeks copy of SIT report on Gujarat riots - Feb 09, 2012
- Gujarat riots: Probe Modi, says Supreme Court amicus curiae - May 07, 2012
- BJP defends Modi, questions timing of SIT report (Lead) - Feb 10, 2012
- SIT questions Togadia for role in 2002 Gujarat riots case - May 10, 2010
- Congress declines comment on Godhra verdict - Feb 22, 2011
- Top cop implicates Narendra Modi in Gujarat riots (Second Lead) - Apr 22, 2011
- Ahmedabad court to pronounce verdict in Godhra riots case tomorrow - Feb 21, 2011
- Supreme Court vacates stay on Godhra trial - Oct 26, 2010
- Petition seeking Narendra Modi's deposition before Nanavati panel rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Godhra riot case: Apex court affords Modi relief (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Godhra riot case: Relief for Modi from apex court (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
Tags: acquittal, allegations, bureaucrats, cabinet colleagues, carnage, chief minister, clean chit, connivance, gujarat, investigation team, leader of the opposition, mp, narendra modi, New Delhi, police officials, rajya sabha, riot, riots, sub judice, supreme court