Nano launch from Gujarat sparks protest in West BengalMarch 24th, 2009 - 3:43 pm ICT by ANI
Kolkata, Mar 24 (ANI): Launch of Tata’’s Nano from Gujarat sparked protests in West Bengal where a group of intellectuals staged a demonstration citing it as a painful day in the history of the state.
The protests were against the launch of Nano from Sanand where the new plant has been set up, after Tata Motors was forced to move the plant from its original site in Singur following violent protests from tribals over land disputes.
The intellectuals saw it as a loss to their state as the Nano plant would have established West Bengal as an industrial hub and brought in employment opportunities in abundance for the people in the state.
“This date is a very painful date. We are protesting for that,” said Fayaz Ahmed Khan, a protester.
Tata Motors launched the much-awaited Nano, slated to be the world’’s cheapest car at less than 2,000 dollars, on Monday.
The formal launch comes 15 months after the tiny, snub-nosed car debuted at a glittering world auto show in Delhi. (ANI)
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Some day Tata Motors will have plant in Bengal: Ratan Tata - Aug 31, 2012
- West Bengal moves apex court on Singur land law - Aug 07, 2012
- Mamata government tables Singur bill - Jun 14, 2011
- Narender Modi inaugurates new manufacturing plant of Nano in Gujarat - Jun 02, 2010
- I believe Singur's farmers will win, says Mamata - Jun 22, 2012
- Bengal to acquire 400 acres at Singur to return to farmers - Jun 09, 2011
- Modi to visit Japan, meet Suzuki officials (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Tata compliments Mamata, she says thanks - Dec 15, 2011
- First Nano from Gujarat unit rolls out Wednesday - Jun 02, 2010
- Making Singur land accord public will take time: Bengal minister - May 27, 2011
- Court scraps Singur land law, Mamata suffers setback (Second Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- We are committed to the cause of Singur farmers: Mamata (Lead) - Jun 22, 2012
- Ratan Tata regrets the company could not do Singur project - Aug 23, 2010
- Nano's Sanand plant goes on stream (Lead) - Jun 02, 2010
Tags: 15 months, abundance, ahmed khan, auto show, demonstration, employment opportunities, fayaz, gujarat, industrial hub, intellectuals, kolkata, land disputes, launch, protest, protester, tata motors, tribals, violent protests, west bengal, world auto