Nanavati Commission says Sabarmati Express fire was pre-plannedSeptember 25th, 2008 - 5:28 pm ICT by ANI
Ahmedabad, Sept 25 (ANI): The first part of the Nanavati Commission report, tabled in the Legislative Assembly today, says that the burning of S-6 coach of the Sabarmati Express on February 27, 2002, was a pre-planned conspiracy and not an accident.
The Godhra report, tabled in the House as it met for a three-day session, gave a clean chit to Gujarat Chief Minister Narendra Modi.
Justice (Retd) G T Nanavati and Justice (Retd) Akshay Mehta of the Commission submitted the first part of their report covering their findings on the burning of S6 coach of Sabarmati Express near Godhra Railway Station on February 2002 to the state government last week.
The commission was set up in 2002 and it submitted the first part of its report after six years.
By December, the commission is likely to submit the second part of its report about their findings on the post-Godhra riots and the role of government in it.
Meanwhile, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) had opposed the tabling of the report in the state assembly by filing a petition in the Gujarat High Court, which was rejected by the court. (ANI)
- Gujarat riots probe panel's term extended - Jun 21, 2011
- Godhra riot case: Relief for Modi from apex court (Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Apex court recalls notice on Narendra Modi (Lead) - Mar 23, 2012
- Modi feels vindicated by Godhra panel findings - Sep 26, 2008
- Godhra riot case: Apex court affords Modi relief (Second Lead) - Mar 26, 2012
- Petition seeking Narendra Modi's deposition before Nanavati panel rejected (Second Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Details sought on Zadafia's appearance before Gujarat riots panel - Nov 24, 2010
- Justice Nanavati Commission summons top Gujarat cop Bhatt - Apr 27, 2011
- 'Narendra Modi needn't depose before Nanavati panel' (Lead) - Feb 01, 2012
- Will Modi be summoned for riots probe, asks high court - Jan 21, 2010
- 31 convicted in India Godhra train fire - Feb 23, 2011
- Apex court notice on plea to summon Modi before riots panel - Mar 19, 2012
- Plea for Modi's deposition to Gujarat riot panel rejected (Roundup) - Feb 01, 2012
- Details of Jhadapia's deposition before riots panel sought - Dec 15, 2010
- Congress criticizes Narendra Modi's supporters - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: akshay, chief minister, clean chit, coach, conspiracy, filing a petition, governmental organizations, gujarat high court, legislative assembly, mehta, nanavati commission report, narendra modi, railway station, riots, role of government, sabarmati express, six years, state assembly, state government