Nagas gearing up for February 2008 State Assembly polNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:37 am ICT by admin
Political parties — both regional and national — vie for space to woo the people.
More than 10 political parties are in the fray in the tiny State with just 60 Assembly seats.
The ruling Democratic Alliance of Nagaland (DAN) is a coalition of more than eight political parties, with Nagaland People’s Front (NPF) being its major constituent.
NPF State Secretary K G Kenya said: “Regionalism and regional party in Nagaland is of immense importance. We will continue to educate people. I am sure in future also it will hold importance to people.”
Xavier, a local journalist, said: “Nagaland is marching towards a multi-corner contest, where national parties like Congress, BJP, NCP, RJD and the local parties, including Nagaland People’s Front and some Independent parties may contest in upcoming February 2008 election.”
Hopkheto Sumi, the President of the Pradesh Congress Committee said the grassroots preparations have already started for the poll.
Besides Congress, the mainstream political parties like, the BJP and the JD(U) have made their presence felt in Nagaland.
V. Victor, state BJP Secretary, said: “We will work for peace in Nagaland, so that youth and the people can live in peace.”
People vouch for democracy and want all the problems to be solved through dialogue and through people’s participation.
Vibilie Seyie, project co-coordinator of a business firm, said: “Democracy is the best form because only through it the voice of the people can be heard. For the development, peace is required and only non-violent methods can achieve it.” (ANI)
- Peace vital for development of Nagaland: Rahul - Nov 09, 2011
- Nagaland returning to normalcy - Sep 03, 2012
- Mukherjee has majority support in northeast - Jul 07, 2012
- Northeast's lawmakers vote in presidential poll - Jul 19, 2012
- Pranab will out-do Sangma in northeast: Congress - Jul 19, 2012
- Congress eyes hat-trick in Manipur (Manipur Newsletter) - Jan 20, 2012
- Northeast issues: Forum to draw national attention - Feb 08, 2011
- In Meghalaya, Sangma's chances are the talking point (With Images) (Meghalaya Newsletter) - Jul 20, 2012
- Army stages flag march in Nagaland - Sep 02, 2012
- Naga party says its Manipur result an achievement - Mar 07, 2012
- Five-time Nagaland chief minister loses by-poll - May 13, 2011
- Security, corruption issues in coming northeast polls: Congress - Apr 30, 2012
- Northeast parties forge alliance for peace, progress - Feb 21, 2011
- Zhimomi re-elected to Rajya Sabha from Nagaland - Mar 27, 2010
- Poll panel begins groundwork for polls in five states - Sep 04, 2012
Tags: assembly seats, bjp, business firm, congress committee, democratic alliance, immense importance, independent parties, live in peace, nagaland, nagas, national parties, npf, political parties, regional party, regionalism, said democracy, state assembly, state secretary, tiny state, violent methods