Naga leaders snub talks offer in ManipurAugust 8th, 2010 - 2:22 pm ICT by ANI
Senapati (Manipur), Aug 8 (ANI): Leaders of the United Naga Council (UNC) and the All Naga Students Association (ANSAM) did not turn up for scheduled tripartite talks with the Manipur government and central government representatives here on Saturday.
After a meeting of the state cabinet on Wednesday, it was decided that a ministerial team would be sent to Senapati district to negotiate with the Naga leaders.
The three-member team consists of T.N. Haokip, Minister of Tourism, N. Biren Singh, Minister of Sports and DD Thaisii, Minister of Tribal Development, along with Naveen Verma, Joint Secretary (Northeast).
Verma said that all the demands raised by the Naga groups are in the domain of the state government.
The UNC had presented a four-point charter to the central government, which included the issues of alleged suppression of their rights by the Manipur state government, the issue of killing of Naga student during the protests, the withdrawal of Section 144 from Naga areas and revoking the Wanted tag on their leaders.
Disappointed with the central government’s failure to address their demands, the UNC imposed a 20-day economic blockade along the national highway leading to the landlocked Manipur, bordering Myanmar, since Wednesday.
UNC activists burned tyres and blocked National Highway-39, disrupting vehicular traffic for a while.
The blockade has been called on NH-39 (Imphal-Dimapur) and NH-53 (Imphal-Jiribam). Paramilitary personnel from the Central Reserve Police Force, the Border Security Force and the India Reserve Battalion (IRB) have been deployed on both the highways. (ANI)
- Manipur Tribal Committee calls for shutdown to protest Distrct Council polls - Apr 25, 2010
- Manipuris rush to stock commodities ahead of 20-day blockade call - Aug 03, 2010
- Total blockade in parts of Manipur, life badly affected - Nov 04, 2011
- United Naga Council temporarily lifts Manipur blockade - Nov 28, 2011
- 92-day Manipur blockade partially lifted - Nov 01, 2011
- All Manipur Church Organisation team meets Manipur Chief Minister - May 28, 2010
- Nagas warn of fresh action as PM visits Manipur - Dec 03, 2011
- Parties demand President's Rule in blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 14, 2011
- Manipur on brink of breakdown with 99 days of blockade - Nov 07, 2011
- Road blockade hits life in Manipur - Sep 19, 2011
- Economic blockade hits normal life in Manipur - Aug 18, 2010
- On Day 100, Manipur warns of 'harsh action' - Nov 08, 2011
- Situation in Manipur remains grim: Minister - Dec 01, 2011
- BJP slams government for Manipur blockade - Nov 07, 2011
- Prices soar in blockade-hit Manipur - Oct 23, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,