`Nadal-Federer Wimbledon final is the best match I”ve seen”, says McEnroeJuly 8th, 2008 - 2:23 pm ICT by ANI
London, July 8 (ANI): Former Wimbledon champion John McEnroe believes Rafael Nadals incredible Wimbledon win over Roger Federer came in the “greatest final of all time.”
The American, who starred in some classic tennis scraps with Swede Bjorn Borg, including his epic five-set defeat at the hands of the Swede on Centre Court back in 1980, said: There was so much drama and, we have to say thanks so much to Roger (Federer). There was class from both players and their levels were incredible. It was the best final ever.
People talk about my matches with Bjorn (Borg), but this was better. It was an unbelievable effort from both players. Ive never seen tennis like it. I dont know how Nadal did it because Roger was playing brilliant tennis after the first two sets. At 2-2 in the fifth set, I didnt know who was going to win. To say this match was magnificent is an understatement,” The Sun quoted McEnroe, as adding.
Federer has dominated on grass in the past few years but now he has someone to equal him. Will Federer win Wimbledon again? I dont know,” said McEnroe.
Experts believe that Nadal has taken his game to another level, and right now, he is clearly playing the best he has ever played on grass.
A couple of years ago, there was talk about whether Nadal could successfully make a transition and be a contender at Wimbledon. Since then, he has improved virtually every aspect of his game. They say that his backhand is better, his serve is better and his approach shots are better. His volleying is also better and his court positioning is better on grass. (ANI)
- The top male tennis player of all time - Jimmy Connors - Mar 02, 2011
- Leading Grand Slam winners - Jul 09, 2012
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon victory voted sporting moment of the decade - Jan 01, 2010
- Nadal's 2008 Wimbledon win voted sporting moment of decade - Dec 31, 2009
- McEnroe backing Murray against Federer to win Wimbledon - Jun 17, 2009
- Nadal beats Federer, wins sixth French Open crown (Lead) - Jun 06, 2011
- Djokovic beats Nadal to win maiden Wimbledon title (Lead) - Jul 04, 2011
- US Open: Djokovic to face Ferrer in semis - Sep 07, 2012
- US Open 2010: McEnroe happy to see Murray on the offensive - Sep 01, 2010
- 'King of Clay' Nadal nearing legend status: McEnroe - Jul 03, 2010
- Sporting world unites to admire Federer - Jul 06, 2009
- Borg says Murray will win US Open - Aug 25, 2010
- McEnroe blames Murray's over tennising and training for humiliating US Open loss - Sep 10, 2009
- Nadal calls the Australian Open final as his toughest match - Jan 30, 2012
- McEnroe's ghostly image appears in cloud formation in Bristol - Oct 02, 2010
Tags: approach shots, backhand, bjorn borg, champion john, contender, game, grass, john mcenroe, london, match, roger federer, scraps, sun, swede, tennis, transition, understatement, wimbledon, wimbledon champion