N-deal would help India export its small reactors: Anil KakodkarNovember 14th, 2007 - 3:01 am ICT by admin
“We are the only country in the world to make commercial small reactors. We can export it to other countries,” he added.
He asserted that the civilian nuclear cooperation would not interfere with country’s domestic programme, and termed it as a “good thing”.
Kakodkar’s statement comes even as uncertainty prevails over the operationalisation of the deal.
The Left Front, which provides crucial support to the UPA Government, is constantly engaged in making a broad political alliance against the deal by taking the support of Third Front or UNPA.
The Communists’ vehement opposition to the deal has already reduced chances of the present coalition completing its full term.
Three more steps are required to operationalise the deal that include, safeguard agreement with the IAEA, amendment in the 45-member Nuclear Suppliers Group’s charter and the passing of the 123-agreement by the US Congress.
The deadline to complete the safeguard agreement with IAEA unofficially comes to an end in October this year.
The crucial meeting between the Left and the UPA is scheduled for November 16 which External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee has termed it as not the last one, with several rounds of dialogue remained to be completed.
The civilian nuclear cooperation deal aims to lift a three-decade ban on sales of US nuclear fuel and reactors to India, which was imposed after it conducted a nuclear test in 1974 while staying out of non-proliferation agreements. (ANI)
- As fuel supplies resume, India's nuclear power output up - Jan 11, 2010
- China confirms plans to build two more nuclear reactors for Pakistan - Sep 22, 2010
- IAEA informed about new N-plant in Pakistan: China - Sep 22, 2010
- AEC chief Kakodkar downplays terror threat - Nov 17, 2009
- Reprocessing nuclear fuel necessary for sustainable growth: Experts - Oct 14, 2010
- Nuke cooperation with Pak completely 'peaceful': China - May 13, 2010
- India planning major expansion of its nuclear-power capacity - Jan 05, 2010
- Jaitapur nuclear plant site safe, say scientists - Mar 14, 2011
- AERB clears fuel loading in Kudankulam nuclear reactor - Aug 10, 2012
- IAEA deal to spur power generation in India - Feb 03, 2009
- US certifies India-IAEA Safeguards Agreement on civil n-facilities - Feb 04, 2010
- Nuclear power key to India's development: Official - Apr 20, 2012
- US says committed to n-deal, pushes India on liability law (Lead) - Jul 19, 2011
- IAEA team in Tehran for talks - Feb 20, 2012
- Nuclear plant in Maharashtra's Jaitapur cleared: says Ramesh (Lead) - Nov 28, 2010
Tags: crucial, external affairs minister, IAEA, india export, nuclear cooperation, nuclear deal, nuclear fuel, nuclear suppliers group, nuclear test, one way traffic, political alliance, pranab mukherjee, reactors, safeguard, talking about things, unpa, UPA, us congress, vehement opposition