Mystery over Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu’s whereabouts deepenApril 30th, 2011 - 7:51 pm ICT by ANI
Itanagar, Apr 30(ANI): The mystery over Arunachal Pradesh Chief Minister Dorjee Khandu’s Pawan Hans Helicopter, which went missing earlier today, has deepened after the Bhutan police chief refused to confirm reports that the chopper has landed on Bhutan soil.
It was earlier reported that that the helicopter, which was flying from Tawang to Itanagar, had landed safely in Bhutan after going missing since 10a.m.
The Arunachal chief minister was expected to board a flight back to India as soon as possible.
However, India’s Ambassador to Bhutan Pavan Varma has also said that Bhutan has not reported any landing.
Khandu was accompanied by two of his personal aides. The chopper had taken off from Tawang at 9:56 am and was to land at Itanagar at 11:30 am. It was last sighted at Sela Pass, 20 minutes after taking off from Tawang.
The Army and the Air Force had also launched an operation to locate the CM’s chopper.
Khandu (56) had served in the intelligence wing of the Army and was sworn on April 9, 2007 as the fifth Chief Minister of the state, replacing Gegong Apang.
The PHHL has been operating five helicopters across Arunachal, Sikkim, Meghalaya, Nagaland and Tripura and daily Guwahati-Tawang services for the past nine years. It is one of the major lifelines of the landlocked Arunachal Pradesh.
The helicopter service on the Guwahati-Tawang route was suspended in the wake of three probes being over a Pawan Hans chopper crash on April 19, killing 17 people and injuring six. (ANI)
- Massive search operation to locate Arunachal Pradesh CM - Apr 30, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu safe, chopper lands safely in Bhutan - Apr 30, 2011
- Arunachal chief minister's chopper was new: Pawan Hans - May 01, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM on board Pawan Hans chopper goes missing - Apr 30, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister still missing (Third Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Arunachal Pradesh CM Khandu safe, chopper lands at Daporijo - Apr 30, 2011
- Chopper carrying Arunachal chief minister still missing (Night Lead) - May 01, 2011
- Concrete details of missing chopper by evening: Mukul Wasnik (Lead) - May 03, 2011
- Wreckage of helicopter carrying Arunachal CM found - May 04, 2011
- With ISRO lead, rescuers search for missing chopper - May 03, 2011
- Search for Arunachal chief minister narrows down (Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Chopper carrying Arunachal chief minister still missing (Second Lead) - May 02, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister still untraced - May 01, 2011
- Chopper with Arunachal chief minister missing (Second Lead) - Apr 30, 2011
- Aerial search resumes for Arunachal CM's missing chopper - May 02, 2011
Tags: air force, ambassador, arunachal pradesh, bhutan, chief minister, chopper, crash, helicopter service, helicopters, intelligence wing, lifelines, nagaland, nine years, pawan hans helicopter, personal aides, police chief, probes, sikkim, soil, tawang