Mysterious disease affects potato cultivation in West BengalMarch 7th, 2009 - 7:02 pm ICT by ANI
Singur (West Bengal), Mar 7 (ANI): Potato cultivators in Hooghly district of West Bengal are facing a crisis with the outbreak of a mysterious disease.
Farmers in Singur, which had caught the global limelight over agricultural land acquisition for the Tatas proposed Nano factory, are worrying about their uncertain future.
The farmers are very nervous. If the crops are good, they find surplus production on hand with no avenues for marketing. If the crops are poor, they do not have any other alternative to sustain their livelihoods.
The farmers have already lost a major part of their crop due to the unknown disease. Many farmers are contemplating suicide as they find it difficult to go through this.
Many have taken loans. Some did not have land but leased land from landowners. We are in worse condition, forcing to contemplate suicide. We do not know what the future has in store and how we will feed our children, said Dukhiram Das, a farmer.
Sukumar Samanta, President of Singur Ratanpur Aalu Baybsai Samity said about 13-14 lakh tons of potato was expected in comparison to last years potato cultivation of over 21 lakh tons.
This year compared to the usual potato cultivation in Hooghly district, 5000 hectares less have been planted with potato. This years winter was not favourable for the crop. Last year, the yield was about 21 lakh tons. This year it will be only about 13-14.5 lakh tons, Samanta said.
The disease has affected 35 percent of the crops. Production would only be about 65 percent in comparison to last year. (ANI)
- Farmer suicides spark Bengal political storm (West Bengal Newsletter) - Jan 22, 2012
- Pepsico to procure 80,000 tonnes of potato from Bengal - Jan 19, 2012
- Five more farmers commit suicides in Vidarbha - May 01, 2012
- Trinamool not for FDI in retail market - Feb 26, 2011
- Bihar's potatoes to be exported to Russia - Aug 31, 2012
- Organic potatoes, with love, for Bihar legislators - Mar 28, 2012
- Bumper potato crop nightmare for Agra farmers - Dec 11, 2011
- Occupy Singur on lines of Occupy Wall street: CPI-M legislator - Jun 24, 2012
- Trinamool wins in Bengal's political flashpoints - May 16, 2011
- West Bengal hastens to save paddy in drought-hit areas - Aug 21, 2010
- Potatoes hot property in Lahaul's cold deserts - Oct 25, 2011
- Monthly allowance to Singur's unwilling farmers doubled - Jun 27, 2012
- Mamata thanks people for moral support on Singur - Jun 23, 2012
- Potato growers in Bengal stare at bleak future - Apr 04, 2010
- Lower seed potato and tomato yield in Himachal due to rains - Oct 13, 2010
Tags: agricultural land, avenues, contemplating suicide, crops, farmers, land acquisition, landowners, limelight, livelihoods, loans, marketing, mysterious disease, outbreak, potato cultivation, potato cultivators, singur west bengal, surplus production, tatas, uncertain future