Myanmar Foreign Minister meets Pranab MukherjeeJanuary 2nd, 2008 - 5:15 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi , Jan 2 (ANI): Myanmar Foreign Minister U Nyan Win met his Indian counterpart Pranab Mukherjee here on Wednesday.
The meeting was preceded by the visiting minister calling on Prime
Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh.
The two sides are expected to formally finalise the multi-crore Kaladan project, which will provide much-needed transit access between the north-eastern states and the rest of the country.
The project includes the building of a waterway, roads and developing the Sitwe port linking Myanmar to Mizoram through the Kaladan River .
India has quietly been pushing forward with this project after the international outcry against Myanmar .
The last few months have seen New Delhi making a fine balancing act as India has vital strategic interests in Myanmar and wants a big stake in the country’s vast gas reserves.
India remains actively engaged with the military regime in Yangon ( Rangoon ) despite huge international criticism over Myanmar ’s brutal crackdown on pro-democracy protests last September. (ANI)
- Mizoram project to be trade gateway to southeast Asia - Aug 15, 2012
- India-Myanmar transit project to be ready by 2013 - Sep 27, 2011
- India starts river project in Myanmar - Dec 20, 2010
- Myanmar, India agree to realign strategic transit project - Jun 21, 2011
- Myanmar: India rejects China rivalry, Sittwe port by 2013 - Oct 13, 2011
- India, Myanmar to be better connected, have more trade (Fourth Lead) - May 28, 2012
- India unveils $500 mn for Myanmar, to expand security ties - Oct 14, 2011
- Krishna in Myanmar to sign infrastructure deals (Third Lead, Changing dateline) - Jun 20, 2011
- Doing trade, driving down to Myanmar just got easier - May 30, 2012
- India eyes trade, connectivity during PM's Myanmar visit - May 25, 2012
- PM's Myanmar agenda: Imphal-Mandalay bus link, trade (Lead) - May 24, 2012
- India lauds Myanmar's reforms, pledges $500 mn for projects (Roundup) - Oct 14, 2011
- India pledges Myanmar $10 mn, donates 10 rice silos (Second Lead) - Jun 21, 2011
- Myanmar to launch satellite - Aug 22, 2012
- 'China has no strategy to strangle India' (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: balancing act, brutal crackdown, crore, dr manmohan singh, eastern states, foreign minister, gas reserves, indian counterpart, international criticism, international outcry, kaladan river, last september, manmohan, manmohan singh, military regime, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, protests, rangoon, waterway