Muthalik taken into preventive custodyFebruary 13th, 2009 - 10:47 pm ICT by ANI
Bangalore, Feb 13, (ANI): Sri Ram Sena chief Pramod Muthalik and 140 of his supporters were taken into preventive custody on Friday.
This was for the precautionary measures ahead of Valentines Day on February 14.
Muthalik was arrested at Kamalapura while his supporters were held in Bangalore.
The convenor of the outfit, Prasad Attwar and four others have also been held in Mangalore.
Bangalore police commissioner Shankar Bidari said, We have so far arrested about 140 suspects who can cause disturbances tomorrow and remanded to judicial custody till February 16. Arrests are continuing.
The group has threatened to disrupt Valentines Day celebrations and marry off couples dating on the day in Karnataka.
In Bangalore, 18,000 police personnel had been deployed to provide security cover, Bidari said.
Official sources said the government had issued instructions to police to deal sternly with trouble-makers. (ANI)
- 3,000 cops to be deployed for India-England match - Feb 25, 2011
- 'Rent-a-riot' Muthalik pays for his fanaticism (Letter from Bangalore) - May 21, 2010
- Rama Sene chief, over 100 others arrested in Karnataka ahead of V-Day (Lead) - Feb 13, 2009
- Ram Sene chief Muthalik attacked in Bangalore - Feb 11, 2010
- Two Bangalore blast suspects sent to jail - Oct 17, 2010
- Black-faced Muthalik demands justice - Feb 12, 2010
- Bangalore woman techie's killer nabbed - Dec 25, 2010
- Sri Ram Sene chief Muthalik held ahead of V-Day in Karnataka - Feb 13, 2009
- Muthalik held for inciting communal clashes in Mysore - Jul 25, 2009
- Action against those inviting Muthalik to Goa: CM - Jul 18, 2012
- Valentine Day opponents warned not to create trouble - Feb 12, 2010
- Hema Malini, Usha Uthup condemn anti-Valentine Day stance of Sri Rama Sena - Feb 07, 2009
- Court denies bail to Shri Ram Sena chief - Jan 30, 2009
- Court quashes Karnataka police chief's appointment - Mar 31, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012