Muslims gear up for fasting month of RamadanAugust 31st, 2008 - 7:14 pm ICT by ANI
Lucknow , Aug 31 (ANI): Muslims geared up for fasting month of Ramadan and began shopping on Sunday.
Muslims all over India are expected to begin observing fasts on Monday or Tuesday.
Ramadan begins in the ninth month of the Muslim lunar calendar, and the starting date is determined by the sighting of the crescent moon in each country concerned, or by astrological calculation, often dividing Islamic countries and sects over the exact dates.
We prepare and shop for at least eight-ten days in advance and later arrange according to the requirement. We also try and do good things to our neighbours and relatives in the month, said Mohammad Ashfaq, a resident.
As the food business witnesses boom in the holy month, restaurant owners feel that their workload increases as the sale increases during this time of the year.
We start preparing three months ahead. Our preparations are almost complete and the remaining would be done today. We wait the entire year for this month. Work load is so much that we work for nearly 18 hours a day and sleep in the rest. We enjoy doing it, said Yahya Rizwan, a restaurant owner.
During Ramadan, Muslims around the world refrain from eating, drinking, smoking, thinking impure thoughts or having sex during daylight hours, a period aimed at spiritual cleansing. Activity during Ramadan peaks between iftar, the breaking of the fast at sunset, a suhur the last meal of the day before sunrise. (ANI)
- Kashmir getting ready for Ramadan - Aug 22, 2009
- Kashmir Valley Muslims gear up to mark Ramadan - Aug 23, 2009
- Ramzan begins in Hyderabad - Aug 01, 2011
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Prayers, feasts and piety - it's Ramadan in India (Special) - Sep 08, 2010
- Ramadan begins amid prayers in Kashmir - Jul 21, 2012
- Ramadan, Eid-ul-Fitr dates forecast in UAE - May 12, 2012
- UAE distributes food for Iftar in Senegal, Nigeria - Jul 20, 2012
- Ramadan to begin August 11: UAE astronomer - Jun 21, 2010
- UAE Red Crescent hosts Iftar parties in Jerusalem - Aug 31, 2011
- Vermicelli sales shoot up in Hyderabad during Ramadan - Aug 26, 2010
- Vermicelli sales in Gorakhpur shoot up during Ramadan - Sep 03, 2010
- 17 dead in Egypt road accidents - Aug 25, 2010
- Muslims in Kerala observe Ramadan fast (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- No Rozas for Hina Khan Due to Tough Shoot Schedules - Sep 08, 2010