Muslims celebrate Eid, pray for peace in JammuOctober 1st, 2008 - 3:12 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 1 (IANS) Muslims celebrated Eid-ul-Fitr with religious fervour in Jammu and Kashmir Wednesday, praying for “peace and communal brotherhood”, in the backdrop of the recent Amarnath land row that has threatened to polarise Hindus and Muslims in the state.A large gathering led by Mufti Sadal Hassan Kazmi offered prayers at the Jammu Eidgah.
After the prayers, the Mufti said: “The region has undergone a lot of communal, regional and social turmoil during recent protests and counter protests in the state. We must all get together and work to undo the effects of that and pray for peace and amity.”
Ashraf Katoch, a member of the congregation, said: “We prayed for peace, communal harmony and brotherhood all around. The recent attempts to create regional and communal divide in the state must be forgotten as a nightmare. We must all walk hand in hand”.
Many Hindu waited outside the Eidgah to greet their Muslim friends after the prayers.
Devinder Singh Rana, a businessman, said: “We have joined our brothers in prayers for peace and tranquility. Some elements did attempt to create fissures in the communal and regional harmony of the state for sake of petty interests but the need is to isolate these people and look ahead positively.”
Administrative and police officials were also present at the Eidgah to extend their greetings on the occasion.
The festival was celebrated with great enthusiasm and gusto across the region amidst tight security to prevent any untoward incident.
In Poonch district, the civil administration and army exchanged sweets and greetings with Pakistani counterparts at Chakan da Bagh on the Line of Control (LoC).
Over the past couple of months, Jammu and Kashmir has seen turmoil over the transfer of land to the Amarnath shrine board and its subsequent cancellation. The shrine is dedicated to Hindu god Shiva.
- Hindus join Muslims in celebrating Eid in Odisha - Aug 20, 2012
- Assam prays for peace this Eid (Lead) - Aug 20, 2012
- India celebrates Eid -- from Kashmir to down south (Roundup) - Aug 31, 2011
- Stray incident apart, Eid prayers offered peacefully in Kashmir - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with prayers for peace, feasting (Roundup) - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with feasts, prayers in Kashmir, Kerala (Roundup) - Oct 01, 2008
- Taj city celebrates Eid peacefully despite alert - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid-ul-Fitr celebrated with fervour in Lucknow - Aug 31, 2011
- Prayers for peace as Andhra celebrates Eid - Aug 20, 2012
- Eid celebrated with traditional fervour in Uttar Pradesh - Aug 20, 2012
- Urs celebrated at Baba Thanpir's Dargarh in Poonch - Aug 10, 2010
- Making sacrifices, feeding poor, Indian Muslims mark Eid-ul-Azha (Roundup) - Nov 17, 2010
- India celebrates Eid-ul-Zuha with spirit of sacrifice (Roundup) - Nov 28, 2009
- Amarnath pilgrims worship Holy Mace in Srinagar - Aug 19, 2010
- Peaceful Eid prayers held across Kashmir - Nov 07, 2011