Muslim youth continue seeking clemency for Sarabjit SinghApril 21st, 2008 - 1:52 pm ICT by admin
Bhopal, Apr 21 (ANI): Muslim youth here took out a bike rally seeking clemency for Sarabjit Singh, the Indian on death row in Pakistan.
“From our and the Pakistani Government, we people of all Hindu, Muslim, Christian and Sikh faiths are seeking clemency for Sarabjit Singh, who is facing death row. He is lodged in Pakistani jail for 18 years. We also demand that Sarabjit’s daughter has never seen her father and vice-versa. We want them to meet,” said Dilip Singh, President of a Sikh temple management committee, who organised the rally.
Sarabjit reportedly sent a special request to authorities in Islamabad to be allowed to meet his younger daughter Poonam whom he has never seen.
With a spokesman of Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf saying on Saturday that there are no plans to put off Sarabjit’s execution of April 30, the Indian death row convict conveyed his request to Indian High Commission officials who met him at Lahore’s high security Kot Lakhpat Jail on Saturday.
Sarabjit’s daughters - Swapandeep and Poonam, his wife Sukhpreet Kaur, his sister Dalbir Kaur and her husband Baldev Singh are expected to arrive here on April 23 to meet him. The Pakistan High Commission in New Delhi granted them visas to facilitate their visit to Pakistan last week.
External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Friday made a fresh appeal to the Pakistan government to grant clemency to Sarabjit on humanitarian grounds.
Pakistan President Pervez Musharraf had last month rejected the mercy plea by Sarabjit, who was to hang on April 1, but his execution was later put on hold. (ANI)
- Sarabjit to meet sister -- after 21 years - Jun 16, 2011
- Sarabjit's kin in Ajmer, seek his release - Apr 08, 2012
- Sarabjit and Surjeet: Shock in one home, joy in another (Second Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Sarabjit's family shattered by Pakistan's 'cruel joke' (Lead) - Jun 27, 2012
- Conditions favourable in Pakistan for Sarabjit's release: Sister - Jul 05, 2011
- Have come with hopes of brother's release: Sarbjeet's sister - Jun 07, 2011
- Jubilation to despair for Sarabjit's family - Jun 27, 2012
- Reopen case, allow me to prove my innocence: Sarabjit - Jun 17, 2011
- Sarabjit's family elated in Punjab - Jun 26, 2012
- Krishna raises Sarabjit issue with Zardari - Sep 08, 2012
- Sarabjit's family on indefinite fast; meets Krishna (Second Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Krishna assures family of Sarabjit's release (Lead) - Jun 28, 2012
- Sarabjit's family meets Krishna - Jun 28, 2012
- Pakistan court seeks reply on likely pardon for Sarabjit - Jun 15, 2011
- Will meet PM, Sonia, Rahul, says Sarabjit's sister - Jul 02, 2012
Tags: bike rally, clemency, commission officials, dilip singh, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, facing death, humanitarian grounds, indian high commission, management committee, muslim youth, pakistan government, pakistan high commission, pakistan president pervez musharraf, pakistani government, pervez musharraf, pranab mukherjee, president pervez musharraf, sikh temple, younger daughter