Muslim school plan ignites Gold Coast protestDecember 2nd, 2008 - 12:51 pm ICT by ANI
Sydney, Dec.2 (ANI): The Australian International Islamic College, planned for Carrara, has raised the ire of Gold Coast City residents who fear it will lead to the local Muslim population withdrawing from the rest of the community.
Demonstrators have swarmed the Gold Coast City Council headquarters to protest against moves to build a Muslim school.
According to the Courier Mail, almost 200 residents turned out for the demonstration, draped in Australian flags and shouting pro-Aussie slogans while Australian rock classics such as Down Under and Great Southern Land boomed across the parkland.
A rally last week attracted about 400 people, while people turned out yesterday carrying placards bearing slogans such as “no Muslim school, hell no” and “integration, not segregation”.
Resident’’s spokesman Tony Doherty said Muslim schools did not encourage multiculturalism.
“It’’s segregation, not integration. They”re not trying to integrate into the rest of society. Since we have started protesting against this our churches have been covered in hate-filled graffiti,” Doherty was quoted, as saying.
He denied it was hypocritical to oppose Muslim and not Christian schools.
Some residents say they are opposed to the school more because of parking issues rather than religious grounds.
Mayor Ron Clarke has publicly said he would support the school as long as it satisfies the council’’s planning criteria.
The council will not make any decision on the future of the school until next year. If approved, the school is unlikely to open until at least the middle of next year. (ANI)
- UK Muslim mob threatens to fly black flag of Islam over Downing Street, White House for jailed cleri - Nov 16, 2010
- German artists connect to India with hip-hop graffiti - Dec 09, 2011
- New mosquito species doesn't need blood before laying eggs - Jun 21, 2012
- Srinagar protests against Assam, Myanmar killings - Jul 26, 2012
- Gold Coast has edge over Hambantota in 2018 CWG bid - Sep 10, 2011
- Protestors stage sit-ins over proposed visit of Naga leader - May 10, 2010
- Occupy protesters confront police across US - Dec 13, 2011
- One year on, Egyptians back at Tahrir Square (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- Manipur's 'Great Uprising' to come alive on screen - Jun 20, 2012
- Jessica Ennis' gold postbox vandalized - Aug 09, 2012
- Jantar Mantar: The epicentre of India's crusades - Apr 08, 2011
- FBI fears Jihadis may attack in retaliation at Koran burning event on Sept 11 - Sep 09, 2010
- Anti-autonomy voices gaining momentum - Aug 18, 2010
- Anna supporters hold Roza Iftar in Lucknow - Aug 24, 2011
- Reel revenge saga leads to outrage in real life Wasseypur (With Image) - Jul 04, 2012
Tags: australian flags, carrara, city residents, council headquarters, courier mail, demonstration, demonstrators, gold coast city, gold coast city council, graffiti, international islamic college, muslim population, muslim school, muslim schools, parkland, religious grounds, rock classics, ron clarke, segregation, slogans