Muslim saints perform acrobatics in Ajmer ahead of ‘Urs’June 24th, 2009 - 7:47 pm ICT by ANI
Ajmer, June 24 (ANI): Ahead of ‘Urs’, the death anniversary of Sufi saint Khwaja Moin-ud-Din Chishti, thousands of Muslim saints or Qalandars performed acrobatics at Ajmer Sharif shrine in Rajasthan.
As part of procession, the Qalandars from various dargahs come and assemble in Mehrauli (New Delhi) where the disciples of Khwaja Moin-ud-Din Chishti have been living for centuries.
From here, they proceed towards the shrine of Sufi saint, Khwaja Moin-ud-Din Chishti, signalling the beginning of the ‘Urs’.
During the procession they perform various tricks with “chimta” (iron tongs), swords and fire tricks.
“We pray that there should be peace and tranquillity across the world. Whosoever comes here by the blessings of Khwaja Moin-ud-Din Chishti, his miseries should vanish,” said Ali Shah, a Qalandar from Pune.
S.H. Hussain Chishti, an official at the shrine of Khwaja Moin-Ud-Din Chishti said the people of all faiths welcome the Qalandars.
“They come here from all the dargahs. All through the way the langars (free food) are organised for them. If they wait even for two hours anywhere they get free food, shelter and everything. People of all the faiths welcome them,” said Chishti.
“Urs”, as the congregation is called in Urdu, is popularly called “Garib Nawaz”, or the “messiah of the poor”.
Devotees queue up in front of the hundreds of small shops selling the “chadar” or holy sheet that is spread over the mausoleum of the dead saint as an offering.
The shrine is a symbol of religious convergence as both Hindus and Muslims throng the shrine in large numbers with the belief that all their wishes would be fulfilled once they offer prayers at the shrine.
The annual gathering is considered to be the second largest congregation of Muslims at one place after Mecca. (ANI)
- Muslim dervishes on way to Ajmer Sharif perform daredevil acts - Jun 14, 2010
- The journey to Ajmer Sharif - from Akbar to Zardari - Apr 05, 2012
- Manmohan Singh sends his offerings to Sufi saint's shrine - Jun 15, 2010
- Zardari prays at Ajmer Sharif, donates $ 1m - Apr 08, 2012
- Prime Minister sends "Chadar" at Ajmer Sharif shrine - Jun 28, 2009
- Sonia Gandhi sends her offerings to Sufi saint's shrine - Jun 14, 2010
- Bansal offers chadar at Ajmer on PM's behalf - Apr 08, 2012
- Zardari prays at Ajmer dargah, donates $1mn (Lead) - Apr 08, 2012
- Crowds throng Ajmer for Sufi saint's Urs - Jun 03, 2011
- Zardari fourth Pakistani leader to visit Ajmer - Apr 03, 2012
- Tight security measures ahead of Urs fair in Ajmer - Jun 12, 2010
- Precious gifts, special prayers for Zardaris at Ajmer shrine (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- 797th Urs of Khawaja Moinuddin Chisty begins in Ajmer - Jun 20, 2009
- 'Bilawal is like Rahul Gandhi' - Apr 08, 2012
- Delhi sets up transit camp for Urs pilgrims - May 28, 2011
Tags: acrobatics, ajmer, ali shah, all faiths, death anniversary, devotees, fire tricks, food shelter, free food, hindus and muslims, hussain, mausoleum, miseries, nawaz, procession, qalandar, rajasthan, sufi saint, tongs, tranquillity