Mumbai terror strikes cast doubts over England tour

November 27th, 2008 - 11:15 am ICT by ANI  

London, Nov 27 (ANI): Last nights terror strikes in Mumbai, in which nearly 80 people are feared dead so far, has cast doubts on the ongoing tour of England cricket team,e specially after news reports emerged that the terrorists particularly shot dead foreign citizens, particularly those from US or UK.

The English team is scheduled to play two more ODIs and two Tests.

England team sources said that they would take advice from their countrys foreign ministry whether to continue their tour, or immediately cancel it.

The second of the two Tests was scheduled to be played in Mumbai from December 16 and the visiting team was to stay at the Hotel Taj which was also targeted by terrorists.

Team spokesman Andrew Walpole said the squad would take advice from Britain’’s Foreign Office before deciding whether to proceed with the remainder of the tour. We will be guided by the Foreign Office and will await developments, quoted Walpole as saying.

He added: We need to get a clearer idea of what the situation is before we react further.

Meanwhile, Cricket Australia has cancelled plans for Western Australia and Victoria to travel to India for next week’’s Champions Twenty20 League because of the deadly terrorist attacks in Mumbai. (ANI)

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Posted in National |