Mumbai suburban train service undergoes revampNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:43 am ICT by admin
The suburban train operation is being segregated from the main line passenger and freight services.
Under the MUTP phase-I sanctioned at a cost of Rs. 31.25 billion (Rs. 3125.20 crore), 550 new trains will bee added to the system.
While on fast line, all trains will be of 12-cars, 20 per cent of trains will be of 12-cars on slow line.
Vehicle kilometers per day will increase by 33 per cent.
Overcrowding during peak hour peak direction will come down from existing over 5,000 commuters to 3,600 commuters per nine-car rake, said a Railway Ministry release.
Provision of additional booking counters, Coupon Validating Machines and computerized Unreserved Ticketing System are being made to ease congestion at booking counters.
Instructions have also been issued to extend Jansadharan Ticket Booking Sevak (JTBS) scheme to Western Railway, the release said.
Provision of contact less Smart Card based ticketing system and Automatic Ticket Vending Machines (ATVMs) is also on hand in Mumbai area. (ANI)
- World Bank loan to improve Mumbai suburban railways - Jul 23, 2010
- Fast rail corridor to ease Mumbai commuters' woes - Mar 14, 2012
- 'Jan Sadharan Ticket Booking Sewak' scheme made flexible - Sep 06, 2010
- Railways scheme gives fillip to employment, ticket sales - Sep 06, 2010
- Mumbai suburban train service getting back to normal - Apr 20, 2012
- Mumbai local train motormen go on flash strike - Jul 20, 2012
- Two killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train - Apr 19, 2012
- Feasibility study for new Mumbai suburban rail corridors - Jan 13, 2012
- Mumbai local train motormen call off strike (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Signal cabin fire hits Central Railway services - Apr 18, 2012
- Mumbaikars cheer Mamata's railway generosity - Feb 24, 2010
- Extra metro trains for trade fair - Nov 17, 2011
- Rs.2 lakh each for Mumbai train accident victims' kin - Apr 19, 2012
- $780 Mn World Bank loan for improving Mumbai train system - Jun 30, 2010
- World Bank loans for Mumbai train system, dam projects (Lead, superseding earlier story) - Jun 30, 2010
Tags: automatic ticket, cars, commuters, contact, crore, ministry release, mumbai, overcrowding, peak direction, provision, suburban train service, ticket booking, ticketing system, train operation, trains, transport project, urban transport, vending machines, western railway