Mumbai police issues gag order against Raj ThackerayOctober 21st, 2008 - 4:16 pm ICT by ANI
Mumbai, Oct 21 (ANI): Mumbai police today issued a gag order under Section 144 against Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) chief Raj Thackeray banning him from addressing a press or public gathering, or carrying out any procession for the next two months.
Police today resorted to lathicharge to disperse the MNS workers who were protesting outside Bandra Metropolitan Magistrate court where Thackeray will be produced following his arrest.
About 150 protesters were detained by police and taken away from the court in western suburb of the city.
Maharashtra Chief Minister Vilasrao Deshmukh said that the decision to arrest Raj Thackeray was not a sudden decision, and that nobody was above the law.
“This is not a sudden decision. We took this decision because nobody is above law. Law is same for everyone,” said Deshmukh.
Raj Thackeray was arrested in Ratnagiri late on Monday night for brutal attack on North Indian rail exam candidates by MNS workers.
A case was registered against Raj Thackeray and his supporters after MNS activists attacked centres conducting railway recruitment examination in suburban Mumbai to protest against the “inadequate representation” to locals and chased away candidates from north India.
More than 30 MNS activists were arrested from Dombivali, Thane, Andheri and Nala Sopara for disrupting the exam, tearing test papers and pelting stones on candidates, police said.
On Monday, a court in Jamshedpur forwarded a non-bailable warrant (NBW) against Raj Thackeray to Mumbai police.
The NBW has been issued against Thackeray for allegedly making derogatory remarks against Biharis. Mumbai Police said that the NBW would be executed this week.
The non-bailable warrant was issued by the court of first class judicial magistrate A K Tiwary on September 30 directing the MNS leader to be present before him on November 17.
The court directive came on a petition filed against Thackeray by Hammed Raza Khan, a lawyer, for allegedly hurting the religious sentiments of a section of society. (ANI)
- On Raj Thackerays arrest, Maharasthtra CM says nobody is above law - Oct 21, 2008
- Raj Thackeray denied bail, sent to jail for two weeks - Oct 21, 2008
- Jamshedpur Court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Oct 20, 2008
- MNS chief Raj Thackeray arrested - Oct 21, 2008
- CBI seeks fresh warrant to arrest Nupur Talwar - Apr 18, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda (Lead) - Aug 16, 2012
- Court issues warrant against Kanda - Aug 16, 2012
- Arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Third Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Fresh arrest warrant against Nupur Talwar (Second Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
- Bihar court issues non-bailable warrant against Raj Thackeray - Dec 03, 2009
- 10,000 Mumbai autorickshaw permit holders agree to electronic meters - Oct 05, 2011
- Bihar court issues warrant against Bal Thackeray - Sep 05, 2009
- Stone-pelting cases: Raj Thackeray gets bail from Aurangabad court - Feb 09, 2011
- Aarushi's mother to be arrested? Search underway (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2012
- Cash-for-vote: Non-bailable warrant against Hindustani - Aug 14, 2012
Tags: bailable, brutal attack, court directive, exam candidates, gag order, inadequate representation, indian rail, judicial magistrate, magistrate court, mns, nbw, north india, police issues, raj thackeray, raza khan, sudden decision, test papers, tiwary, vilasrao deshmukh, western suburb