Mumbai attack: UK, US envoys back India in its fight to bring perpetrators to bookDecember 12th, 2008 - 11:32 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi/Chennai, Dec.12 (ANI): US Deputy Secretary of State John Negroponte and British High Commissioner to India Richard Stag on Friday extended wholehearted support to the Indian Government in its fight to bring the perpetrators of last month’’s terrorist attacks in Mumbai to book.
The attack claimed nearly 200 lives and caused injury to about 300. Sources in New Delhi said that Negroponte, who arrived from Islamabad after discussions with Pakistani leaders, discussed with Indian officials investigations into last month’’s attack on Mumbai and urged Pakistan and other countries to help. Negroponte met External Affairs Minister Pranab Mukherjee and the National Security Advisor M. K. Narayanan and reportedly discussed security-related matters and evidence of Pakistan ‘’s complicity in the Mumbai raids. “We think it is imperative that this incident be, this attack be thoroughly investigated and, we think it is also imperative that those responsible for perpetrating these attacks are be brought to account,” Negroponte said. “So, the effort at the moment is concentrated on investigating these incidents, these attacks and bring those responsible to account. We are cooperating in this effort. Obviously the Government of India is in the lead with respect to these investigations but, all of our diplomatic partners have a responsibility to contribute in this effort,” Negroponte told reporters in the national capital. India blames militant groups based in Pakistan for the attacks, and added that the November 26 incident has jeopardised improving relations between the two neighbours. Negroponte’’s visit came days after his boss Condoleezza Rice told Indian leaders she saw evidence of involvement from Pakistani soil, possibly of non-state actors, in the three-day rampage in India ‘’s financial capital by 10 heavily armed gunmen. The United States has pressured Pakistan to reign in those responsible and dismantle militant networks it has used in the past to fight India .In Chennai, British envoy Stag said there were enough links to suggest that the terrorists who attacked Mumbai had the backing of elements in Pakistan , and therefore,the Pakistan Government had been approached to do the needful. “We take the view the there is clear evidence that attack in Mumbai have links to organisation in Pakistan we have been urging the government of Pakistan to take effective and appropriate measures to deal with this, ” Stag told reporters during a visit to the Manjakollai school. India blames Pakistan-based outlawed Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT) militant group for the attack on Mumbai and earlier ones, including a raid by gunmen on the Indian parliament in 2001. That almost thrust the two countries into their fourth war since winning independence from Britain in 1947. Reacting to global pressure, Pakistan has detained several Islamist militant leaders India wants extradited and cracked down on LeT and a charity regarded as its front after sanctions by the United Nations this week. (ANI)
Tags: british high commissioner, complicity, condoleezza rice, deputy secretary, external affairs minister, external affairs minister pranab mukherjee, government of india, gunmen, indian government, indian leaders, indian officials, islamabad, militant groups, mumbai terror attack, narayanan, national security advisor, pakistani leaders, pranab mukherjee, stag, state actors, state john negroponte