Mulayam, Amar Singh meet KaratNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:49 am ICT by admin
Former Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yadav is also expected to meet CPI leader A B Bardhan and D Raja of the CPI-M.
On Wednesday United National Progressive Alliance (UNPA) leaders met the Left parties to seek a consensus on the floor of the Parliament during discussion of the Indo-US civilian nuclear cooperation agreement.
Telugu Desam Party (TDP) chief Chandrababu Naidu said the UNPA is demanding a discussion in Parliament before the implementation of the bilateral deal.
The Communists also endorsed the concerns of the UNPA.
The Left’s parleys with the UNPA came as the US Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs, Nicholas Burns, said that time is running out for the actualisation of the deal.
India needs to conclude a safeguards agreement with the International Atomic Energy Agency, get approvals from the Nuclear Suppliers Group and a second backing from the U.S. Congress before the deal can come into force.
Although it faces no formal deadline, Washington wants the pact — considered highly lucrative for American firms — clinched next year before the end of Bush’s term to avoid its fate becoming uncertain under a new administration. (ANI)
- Presidential poll: Jayalalithaa garners support for Sangma - May 20, 2012
- CPI-M, Forward Bloc to back Pranab, CPI, RSP to skip poll (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- CPI-M expels rebel member questioning support to Pranab - Jun 23, 2012
- OK if Somnath campaigns for CPI-M, says Yechury - Apr 15, 2011
- CPI-M demands higher probe into vote-buying charge - Mar 23, 2011
- Opposing illegal dam construction is our right: Naidu (Lead) - Jul 26, 2010
- Crucial CPI-M politburo, central committee meetings from Tuesday - Jan 16, 2012
- Left parties divided over supporting Pranab - Jun 21, 2012
- Bar foreign educational institutions: CPI-M - Jun 01, 2012
- Strengthening CPI-M need of the hour: Karat - Apr 04, 2012
- Team Anna meets CPI-M over Lokpal bill - Nov 25, 2011
- US deploying forces in Indian Ocean to take on China: Yechury - Sep 01, 2012
- World Communist leaders meet in Delhi - Nov 20, 2009
- WikiLeaks exposes US interference in India: CPI-M - Dec 18, 2010
- Achuthanandan visits home of murdered Marxist - Jun 02, 2012
Tags: amar singh, chandrababu naidu, CPI, formal deadline, left parties, nicholas burns, nuclear cooperation agreement, nuclear suppliers group, parliament, political affairs, progressive alliance, safeguards agreement, tdp, telugu desam party, united national, unpa, us civilian