Mukul Wasnik opens sports meet of students with disabilities at Delhi UniversityFebruary 5th, 2011 - 6:03 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 5 (ANI): Union Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik today inaugurated the Second Inter College Sports meet for the students with disabilities which began here today.
The meet has been organized by the Equal Opportunity Cell of the University of Delhi in which the students with disabilities are participating. Some of these students have participated in the international para sports events.
Speaking on the occasion, Wasnik said that the Central Government is committed to all-round development of the persons with disabilities and has been taking several initiatives in this regard.
Wasnik informed that to address the needs of persons with hearing and speech impairment, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has started the process of establishing an Indian Sign Language Research and Training Centre.
“The aim of the Centre will be to promote the use and spread of Indian Sign Language in cooperation with native sign language users through research, teaching materials, curriculum development, outreach and awareness programmes,” he added.
Wasnik said a Task Force has been set up under the Director General, CSIR, to work out the details for the proposal of establishment of a National Centre for Universal Design and Barrier-free Environment (NCUDBE).
An assessment is underway of the existing status of the seven National Institutes working for the persons with disabilities which will lead to new measures to make these Institutes the ‘Centers of Excellence’. (ANI)
- Task force set up for barrier-free public buildings - Oct 29, 2010
- IGNOU gives India first sign language training centre - Oct 04, 2011
- IGNOU to have centre for the deaf - Oct 02, 2011
- Need to sensitize society on autism - Apr 03, 2012
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Welfare funds not fully used in northeast' - May 30, 2012
- Final draft of new disability law submitted - Jul 01, 2011
- New law on disability soon, says Mukul Wasnik - Jan 14, 2011
- 21 mn people are disabled in India: Minister - May 07, 2012
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- IGNOU spreads awareness about deafness - May 27, 2012
- A job fair for the differently-abled - Jul 19, 2011
- Wasnik releases Microsoft's disabled-friendly software tools - Dec 03, 2011
- Disabled people plan hunger strike in Delhi for rights law - Jun 08, 2010
- All-India disability awareness campaign kicked off - Nov 16, 2010
Tags: centers of excellence, central government, college sports, csir, curriculum development, delhi university, development outreach, free environment, indian sign language, inter college, persons with disabilities, sign language research, sign language users, speech impairment, sports events, students with disabilities, teaching materials, union minister, universal design, university of delhi