Mukherjee to meet chiefs of public sector banks todayAugust 14th, 2010 - 11:50 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 14 (ANI): Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee will meet chiefs of public sector banks here today to take stock of the financial performance of the banks and their projections for the current year
The meeting is also expected to discuss the impact of rising benchmark prime lending rates (BPLRs), which will affect auto, home and education loan costs for existing borrowers.
Mukherjee will also dwell upon credit flow to productive sectors as well as to priority sector.
The meeting will also discuss review of credit growth, including to the agriculture and infrastructure sectors.
The banks will be asked to give their action plan to reach out to those who are still left outside the banking network by using new IT technologies and business correspondents etc.
Infrastructure lending, lending to minority communities, implementation of Interest Subsidy Scheme for Housing the Urban Poor (ISHUP), pension reforms and issues related to Regional Rural Banks (RRBs) are also placed on the agenda of the aforesaid meeting.
One of the key points of discussion in the meeting would be financial inclusion to provide appropriate banking facilities to habitations having a population above 2,000 by March, 2012.
It is to be noted that Mukherjee had a meeting with bankers and chief ministers of four regions. The fourth and last in the series of regional meetings held by Mukherjee was on July 20.
The meeting takes place at a time when most of state-owned banks have announced their first quarter results. (ANI)
- Pranab to review banks' performance - Jul 07, 2011
- Mukherjee to inaugurate Financial Commissioners, Finance Secretaries Conference - Oct 29, 2010
- Pranab Mukherjee asks state governments and banks to improve credit flow - Jun 28, 2010
- Non-banking financial firms happy with Pranab's budget - Feb 26, 2010
- Mukherjee hopes inflation decline will continue (Lead) - Dec 18, 2011
- Small home loan borrowers to get 1 percent interest subsidy - Oct 25, 2011
- Biggest challenge before nation is to ensure inclusive growth: Mukherjee - Mar 12, 2011
- Farm credit flow exceeds target in 2010: Pranab Mukherjee - Jul 06, 2010
- Mukherjee leaving for Busan tonight to attend G-20 Finance Ministers meet - Jun 02, 2010
- RBI will adjust monetary policy to spur growth: Pranab (Roundup) - Jun 16, 2012
- Banks pitch for tax free infra bonds - Jan 19, 2012
- Sound banking system needed for financial stability: Pranab - Mar 27, 2011
- Budget promises more money for all - farmers to corporates (Third Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Loans set to pinch more as central bank hikes interest rates (Roundup) - Jul 26, 2011
- Budget promises reforms, growth-focus, inflation-check (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: banking network, business correspondents, chief ministers, credit flow, education loan, financial performance, infrastructure sectors, interest subsidy scheme, loan costs, minority communities, pension reforms, pranab mukherjee, prime lending rates, priority sector, productive sectors, public sector banks, quarter results, regional meetings, rural banks, union finance minister