Mukherjee seeks written reply from Mamata on Lalgarh speechAugust 13th, 2010 - 2:42 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 13 (ANI): Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Friday sought a written reply from Railway Minister and Trinamool Chief Mamata Banerjee on her pro-Maoist remarks at a rally in Lalgarh, West Bengal.
Banerjee has been asked to explain in detail what she said there and why.
The latest move from the government confirms its discomfort with the stand taken by a member of the Union Cabinet.
Earlier, Home Minister P Chidambaram had said the government would certainly not encourage anyone to support the Maoists.
On being asked if the government would take action against those who support the anti-democratic movement in Naxal areas, Chidambaram said: “To a question that is framed in such a general manner, the answer can also be in a general manner. No one should support the Maoists and the government would certainly not encourage anyone to support the Maoists.”
Chidambaram later rejected Mamata’s demand for an inquiry into the encounter killing of Maoist leader Cherukuri Rajkumar, alias Azad.
Addressing a public rally in Lalgarh on Monday, Banerjee had said that the way Azad was killed was not right and asked for a probe into his death.
“I feel the way Azad was killed is not correct. Swami Agnivesh had made him agree to hold talks (with the government). What happened was not correct. I feel the process (for holding talks with the Maoists) should start,” she added.
Azad was killed by Andhra Pradesh Police in the Jogapur forest area at Adilabad District on July 2. (ANI)
- Pranab Mukherjee to meet Mamata Banerjee today - Aug 14, 2010
- No one from Government should support Maoists, says Chidambaram - Aug 11, 2010
- TMC party activists protest against CPI-M leaders in New Delhi - Aug 31, 2010
- Mamata condemns manner in which Azad was killed - Aug 09, 2010
- Uproar in Parliament over Mamata's Maoist remark - Aug 10, 2010
- Maoists to talk if Azad's killing is probed: Agnivesh - Aug 12, 2010
- Swami Agnivesh considers Maoist leader Azad's death a "serious blow" to peace initiatives - Jul 19, 2010
- Mamata sticks to comments on slain Maoist leader - Aug 18, 2010
- PM owes explanation on Mamata's Lalgarh rally: CPI-M - Aug 12, 2010
- 'Mamata made Azad remarks as Trinamool chief, not as minister' - Aug 19, 2010
- Left Front partner wants probe into Azad's killing - Aug 24, 2010
- Citing Mamata, BJP seeks CBI probe into Azad killing - Aug 10, 2010
- Agnivesh proposes 72-hour ceasefire with Maoists - Aug 18, 2010
- Swami Agnivesh seeks probe into killing of pro-Maoists - Aug 09, 2010
- Up to Andhra to order probe Azad's death: Chidambaram - Aug 11, 2010
Tags: alias, democratic movement, encounter, forest area, home minister, mamata banerjee, maoist, maoists, New Delhi, p chidambaram, pranab mukherjee, public rally, railway minister, reply, swami, union cabinet, union finance minister, west bengal