Mukherjee meets Lalu, Mulayam to end deadlock over MPs salary hikeAugust 21st, 2010 - 1:55 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Aug 21 (ANI): Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Saturday met Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad Yadav, Samajwadi Party (SP) supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Gopinath Munde to end the deadlock over salary hike for MPs.
The Union Cabinet on Friday approved a bill to hike MPs salary from current Rs 16,000 to Rs 50,000.
The decision came days after the Union Cabinet deferred its decision on the proposed three-fold increase.
The Bill will now be placed in Parliament for final approval today.
The Parliament on Wednesday witnessed huge protests from Lalu Prasad Yadav, who vociferously demanded the hike. He was joined by Mulayam Singh and other members of the Samajwadi Party (SP), Bahujan Samaj Party (BSP), RJD, Janat Dal (United) JD (U), Shiv Sena and Trinamool Congress.
The Joint Parliamentary Committee on Salaries, Allowances and Pensions, headed by Congress MP Charan Das Mahant, had proposed a salary of Rs 80,001, arguing that an MP’s salary should be at least a rupee more than that of an officer of the rank of Secretary (Rs 80,000), whom an MP outranks in the list of protocol.
The recommendation to hike the salary was made taking into account the consumer price index and the wage index for skilled urban labour.
Apart from the base salary, an MP gets a daily allowance of Rs 1,000 for each day when Parliament is in session or a sitting of a House committee is scheduled.
A member is entitled for constituency allowance of Rs 20,000 per month and office expense allowance of another Rs 20,000 per month.
Every MP can avail 34 single air journeys during a year with spouse or any number of companions or relatives. The last hike in salaries and allowances of 795 MPs — 545 members of Lok Sabha and 250 members of Rajya Sabha — came into effect about 10 years ago. (ANI)
- Cabinet clears salary hike of MPs - Aug 20, 2010
- Parliament adjourns following uproar over MPs' 'poor' salary hike - Aug 20, 2010
- MPs salary hiked, but they are unhappy (Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- Government okays three-fold salary hike, MPs want more (Second Lead) - Aug 20, 2010
- Peace in parliament as deadlock over salary over - Aug 21, 2010
- MPs get Rs.10,000 more, but further salary hike rejected (Third Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- Cabinet hikes MPs' perks, salary raise unaltered (Lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- MPs to get 300 percent pay hike soon (Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- MPs' pay hike bill in this session: Pranab - Aug 17, 2010
- Cabinet to reconsider MPs' salary hike bill - Aug 23, 2010
- Government says it is for 300 percent MPs' pay hike (Second Lead) - Aug 17, 2010
- Cabinet bows to MPs' demand, hikes allowances (Third lead) - Aug 23, 2010
- MPs' salary hike bill in Lok Sabha - Aug 25, 2010
- Lok Sabha okays MPs' three-fold salary hike - Aug 27, 2010
- Pranab helps break deadlock over MPs' salary hike (Lead) - Aug 21, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,