Mukherjee briefs PM on in ‘IPL-Gate’ probeApril 22nd, 2010 - 5:44 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Apr 22 (ANI): Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday briefed the Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh, on the ongoing investigation against the owners of Indian Premier League (IPL) teams.
During the briefing, Mukherjee explained to Dr. Singh how bids for franchisees were made.
Reportedly, Dr. Singh and Mukherjee also discussed the names of Nationalist Congress Party (NCP) leaders Praful Patel and Supriya Sule being drawn into the IPL controversy.
Patel was drawn into the controversy when he confirmed media reports that his private secretary had e-mailed former Union Minister Shashi Tharoor documents containing projections of the new franchisee valuations in the IPL.
The confirmation comes just two days after Patel categorically denied any role in the Indian Premier League.
However, it has now emerged that Patel’s secretary, Champa Bharadwaj, had forwarded a mail to Tharoor’s personal mail account on March 19, two days before the bids were opened.
It happened hours after IPL CEO Sundar Raman sent the document to Patel’s daughter and IPL hospitality manager Poorna Patel.
The Kochi consortium surprisingly made the second-highest bid.
Patel now says that it was Tharoor who had sought his help.
“Shashi Tharoor called me because he was putting together a team. He wanted me to speak to Lalit Modi and help him out. This has got nothing to do with IPL. This is a needless controversy,” claims Patel. (ANI)
- Sule defends Praful Patel's daughter in IPL row - Apr 22, 2010
- No rift with Congress, no role in IPL: NCP (Lead) - Apr 22, 2010
- No proof of NCP's links with IPL: D P Tripathi - Apr 22, 2010
- E-Mail details show interest of another Union Minister in IPL - Apr 22, 2010
- Poorna did not leak confidential email, stresses IPL - Apr 23, 2010
- Sule defends father, family over IPL - Apr 20, 2010
- Pawar backs Patel, says let IPL links be probed - Apr 24, 2010
- Government open to parliamentary probe into IPL (Roundup) - Apr 23, 2010
- Government to consider parliamentary probe into IPL: Pranab (Lead) - Apr 23, 2010
- Unfair to say Pawar only defended Modi: Sule(Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- After four days of calm, IPL storm hits parliament (Parliament Roundup) - Apr 23, 2010
- Pawar's daughter denies family has business link with IPL (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2010
- Pawar denies role in IPL bidding (Roundup) - Jun 04, 2010
- IPL stalls parliament, government considers JPC probe (Afternoon Lead) - Apr 23, 2010
- No need to ban IPL: Rajeev Shukla - Apr 19, 2010
Tags: bharadwaj, champa, dr manmohan singh, dr singh, franchisee, franchisees, hospitality manager, mail account, manmohan, manmohan singh, nationalist congress party, personal mail, praful patel, pranab mukherjee, private secretary, raman, sundar, supriya, union finance minister, union minister