Mukherjee, Antony to probe Adarsh society scam, Chavan to continue as CMOctober 30th, 2010 - 4:19 pm ICT by ANI
By Sitesh Dwivedi
New Delhi, Oct. 30 (ANI): Congress president Sonia Gandhi has asked Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee and Defence Minister A.K.Antony to investigate the scam surrounding the Adarsh Society in Colaba, Mumbai, and to submit a report to her at the earliest.
Congress sources said on Saturday that Maharashtra Chief Minister Ashok Chavan would continue in office till the submission of the report and the action taken thereof.
The decision to form a two-member probe committee was taken after Chavan met Sonia Gandhi. Gandhi is reported to have had consultations with both Mukherjee and Antony, giving them their brief on the matter.
Chavan has offered to resign in connection with his government’s alleged role in the Adarsh Society housing scam.
Placing the onus of Gandhi to take a final decision on the issue, Chavan told media persons here this afternoon that he had presented all the facts connected to the project to the Congress president after she asked him to give a full explanation.
Chavan also said that he would welcome a probe by the Union Defence Ministry.
Rumor mills are reportedly agog with speculation that a decision could be taken by the Congress leadership within the next ten days. Speculation is rife, though unconfirmed, that Minister of State for Science and Technology and the Prime Minister’s Office, Prithviraj Chavan, is one of the frontrunners for replacing Ashok Chavan at Mantralaya.
Earlier, Ashok Chavan was summoned to meet Gandhi in connection with the controversial Adarsh Housing Society project.
Sources said the Congress leadership is upset with Chavan, whose mother-in-law and two other relatives are among 103 members of the housing society project in Mumbai.
It has been reported that Chavan was involved in clearing papers for the upscale high-rise Adarsh building project in his previous capacity as Revenue Minister.
On Friday, Chavan said he did not abuse his position to help his relatives get flats in the society, and added that he welcomed any sort of Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) probe into the scam.
“I was not the Chief Minister of Maharashtra when the request for the land came up. I have no role in the allotment. I have not abused my position. These are politically motivated allegations,” said Chavan.
Chavan further said the land belongs to the state government and was not reserved for Kargil widows or war heroes.
“The land belongs to the state government, based on the Collector’s records. Revenue department land granted to the society as per GR of 9.7.1999. This land falls outside the defence boundary. It was not reserved for war veterans or Kargil heroes,” said Chavan.
The 31-storey high-rise in Colaba has become a catchment area for a massive political controversy.
Former army chiefs, politicians and bureaucrats have all been allotted flats here for a fraction of the market rate. As of now, some of these members have decided to return their allotments (ANI)
- Ashok Chavan to be given honourable exit from Maharashtra CM's post - Oct 30, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: Maharashtra CM to meet Sonia Gandhi today - Oct 30, 2010
- BJP demands immediate resignation of Maharashtra CM Ashok Chavan - Oct 30, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: PM says will make 'meaningful comment' after collecting facts - Oct 30, 2010
- Chavan meets Sonia, offers to resign as Maharashtra CM - Oct 30, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: 'I welcome any sort of CBI probe', says Chavan - Oct 29, 2010
- Adarsh society scam: Sonia Gandhi accepts Ashok Chavan's resignation - Nov 09, 2010
- Gandhi asks Pranab, Antony to probe housing scam - Oct 30, 2010
- All corruption, nepotism charges would be dealt after due investigation: Digvijay Singh - Nov 02, 2010
- Adarsh Society: High rise of mystery and suspicion - Jan 16, 2011
- Chavan offers to quit over housing scam (Roundup) - Oct 30, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: Nitin Gadkari demands dismissal of Maharashtra Government - Nov 01, 2010
- Adarsh Society scam: Mukherjee, Antony meet Sonia; discuss Chavan's fate - Nov 01, 2010
- Need more time for probe: Pranab Mukherjee - Oct 31, 2010
- Adarsh scam: BJP demands Maharashtra Governor's sanction to prosecute Deshmukh, Shinde - Feb 11, 2011
Tags: antony, ashok, congress leadership, congress president sonia gandhi, defence minister, defence ministry, final decision, finance minister, frontrunners, housing society, maharashtra chief minister, media persons, minister of state, mother in law, onus, pranab mukherjee, prithviraj, project sources, revenue minister, rumor mills