Mukherjee announces withdrawal of service tax on healthcareMarch 22nd, 2011 - 3:06 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 22 (ANI): Union Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee on Tuesday announced the withdrawal of five percent service tax on healthcare.
He also introduced a Constitution Amendment Bill in the Lok Sabha to facilitate implementation of the Goods and Service Tax (GST), an indirect tax regime that would subsume levies like excise, service tax and sales tax.
The Bill seeks to amend the constitution with a view to confer simultaneous powers on the Centre and State Governments to levy taxes on goods and services.
The statement of objects and reasons of the Bill said: “The GST would replace a number of indirect taxes presently being levied by the central government and the state governments and is intended to remove cascading of taxes and provide a common national market for goods and services.”
The Bill provides for creation of a GST Council to be headed by Mukherjee.
The GST, which is considered to be a major tax reform, has been pending for the last four years over differences between the Centre and some States over the structure of the new tax regime. (ANI)
- CII, FICCI welcome withdrawal of service tax on healthcare - Mar 22, 2011
- FICCI wants flat 12 percent GST and all sectors under it - Aug 18, 2011
- GST panel asks centre for more flexible approach - Aug 19, 2011
- Cabinet clears GST Amendment Bill - Mar 15, 2011
- Some exemptions to continue in GST system - Mar 07, 2011
- Government working for early implementation of GST: Mukherjee - Feb 22, 2012
- Pranab assures full compensation to states for GST - Jul 24, 2010
- Excise official hints at delay in new tax regime - Jun 28, 2011
- DTC bill in current session, GST will be delayed - Aug 24, 2010
- Healthcare tax withdrawn as Lok Sabha passes Finance Bill - Mar 22, 2011
- FICCI to convince states for early GST roll-out - Mar 03, 2011
- Goods and services tax bill in budget session: Pranab - Feb 28, 2011
- States will not lose out on revenues post GST: Pranab - Jul 22, 2010
- Levy on unbranded jewellery to be withdrawn: Pranab (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Cooperate on GST, Pranab urges states (Lead) - Aug 05, 2010
Tags: central government, constitution amendment bill, implementation, indirect tax, indirect taxes, levies, Lok Sabha, New Delhi, pranab mukherjee, sales tax, state governments, tax reform, tax regime, union finance minister