Mukesh Ambani replaces LN Mittal as richest IndianNovember 13th, 2008 - 2:11 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Nov 13 (ANI): Mukesh Ambani has replaced steel magnate Lakshmi Niwas Mittal as the richest Indian in the world, according to the latest Forbes annual rich list for the country.
UK resident Lakshmi Mittal, dropped 30.5 billion dollar amid plunging steel prices and slipped to No. 2.
Mukesh Ambani, who oversees petrochemicals giant Reliance Industries, grabs the top spot for the first time, despite losing 28.2 billion dollar in the past year. His estranged brother, Anil, ranked third, is the biggest dollar loser, down 32.5 billion dollar, Forbes said.
Telecom czar Sunil Mittal and realtor K P Singh are ranked fourth and fifth with net worth of 7.9 billion dollar and 7.8 billion dollar, respectively.
Forbes said that the combined net worth of Indias 40 richest has declined by 60 percent due to weak stock markets amid depreciating rupee against the greenback.
Their total wealth is now 139 billion dollar, down from 351 billion dollar just a year ago, according to Forbes India Rich List.
Others Indians in the rich list were nearly wiped out entirely. Indias wind power man Tulsi Tanti and his brothers lost 91 percent of their fortune, amid reports about the poor quality of Suzlons wind blades.
Real estate fortunes were among those hit the hardest. K.P.Singh lost 27.2 dollar billion since Forbes last published listing but is down an astonishing 39 billion dollar since his DLF stock peaked in January.
Property tycoon Ramesh Chandras net worth dropped 91 percent to 1 billion dollar. His Unitech lost half its market capitalization in one day last month.
While all 40 tycoons listed last year were billionaires, only 27 have 10-figure net worths now. A net worth of 760 million dollar was needed to make to the list this year, 840 million dollar less than last year.
The Ruia brothers were ranked at sixth position with a net worth of 7.6 billion dollar, followed by Wipro Chairman Aziz Premji, worth 7 billion dollar.
The new entrants in the list are retailer Micky Jagtiani at 16th position with a net worth of 2 billion dollar, followed by Divis Laboratories” founder Murali Divi at 36th place with a net worth of 870 billion dollar. (ANI)
- India's richest lost 20 percent of wealth: Forbes - Oct 27, 2011
- Lakshmi Mittal replaces Mukesh Ambani as world's richest Indian - Mar 10, 2011
- Mukesh Ambani again tops list of richest Indians - Sep 30, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani richest among 48 Indian billionaires - Mar 08, 2012
- Fifty Indians on Forbes' global billionaire club - Mar 10, 2011
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal in top 10 of world's rich list (Lead) - Mar 11, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal in top 10 of world's rich list - Mar 11, 2010
- Buoyant stock market, economy doubles billionaires in India - Nov 20, 2009
- Wealth of 100 richest Indians pegged at $300 bn by Forbes - Sep 30, 2010
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal among world's top ten billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- Indian business tycoon Mukesh Ambani to be world's richest man in 2014, Forbes predicts - Sep 13, 2010
- 50 Indian billionaires in global richest club - Mar 10, 2011
- Richest Indian Mukesh Ambani amongst Forbes top ten Billionaires - Mar 11, 2010
- Steel baron Mittal, Ambani brothers among Forbes top-ten super-rich - Mar 11, 2009
- Mukesh Ambani, Lakshmi Mittal among 'World's Most Powerful Billionaires' - Jan 28, 2010
Tags: greenback, k p singh, lakshmi mittal, market capitalization, mukesh ambani, petrochemicals, power man, property tycoon, real estate fortunes, reliance industries, rich list, ruia, sixth position, steel magnate, steel prices, stock markets, sunil mittal, tycoons, unitech, wind blades