Mughal era royal bath discovered in Kashmir gardenJanuary 1st, 2009 - 7:36 pm ICT by IANS
Srinagar, Jan 1 (IANS) The chance discovery of a seven-room royal “hammam” (oriental bath) in a Kashmir Mughal Garden here can throw a new light on the architectural excellence of the Mughal era.The bath with sitting rooms, bathtubs and an excellent central heating arrangement by hot water circulation through copper pipes was discovered recently, officials said.
The discovery was made in the famous Shalimar Garden, on the eastern bank the Dal Lake, 12 km from the heart of the city. The Shalimar Garden was built by Mughal Emperor Jehangir in 1616 to celebrate his love for his wife Nur Jahan.
“Gardeners were shifting soil from one area of the garden when they discovered a construction, which later turned out to be a seven-room hammam,” said Sheikh Shabir Ahmad, the floriculturist in charge of the garden.
“We also discovered earthen vessels, bathtubs, toilets, sitting and retiring rooms inside the construction. It is definitely a royal hammam built for Emperor Jehangir and his wife Nur Jahan,” Ahmad said.
The authorities, in consultation with the archaeological department, are now in the process of restoring the royal bath to its original glory without disturbing the basic excellence of its layout.
“It is quite possible that the royal hammam was built in 1619 when the emperor and his wife came to Kashmir to spend time because of the emperor’s failing health,” an archaeological official.
Emperor Nurrudin Salim Jehangir ruled India from 1605 to 1628.
Of all his 20 wives, Mehr-un-Nisa, popularly known as Nur Jahan, was the emperor’s wisest and the most favourite wife.
- Mughal era Hamam discovered in Kashmir - Dec 22, 2008
- Shah Jahan's 357th Urs celebrated at Taj Mahal - Jun 19, 2012
- Construction stopped at old Delhi mosque site, visitors pour in - Jul 19, 2012
- Tension defused; Delhi mosque site handed over to ASI (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- No free entry to Taj for CWG visitors - Oct 03, 2010
- Obamas get to meet 'slumdog kids' - Nov 07, 2010
- Tension defused; controversial mosque site handed over to ASI - Jul 21, 2012
- Eighth wonder? Bhopal too has a Taj Mahal! - Dec 09, 2010
- Prayers held at rediscovered Delhi mosque, Iqbal seeks settlement (With Image) - Jul 20, 2012
- Shah Jahan's Urs begins at Taj Mahal - Jul 10, 2010
- History back on shelves with a dash of drama - Apr 05, 2012
- Installation of audio guide system at Taj Mahal disappoints its lovers - Apr 27, 2011
- Ancient Delhi gateways, Mughal library to be restored (With Images) - Jul 05, 2011
- Taj Mahal rakes in Rs.19 crore revenue from ticket sales - Jul 28, 2011
- Ancient Fatehpuri mosque to be restored to old glory (With images) - Jan 28, 2011