Mufti Sayeed seeks civic polls in KashmirDecember 4th, 2011 - 10:59 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Dec 4 (IANS) Jammu and Kashmir’s main opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Sunday accused the Omar Abdullah government of “eroding the democratic institutions” by not holding civic polls in the state.
PDP patron and former chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed, whose party is focusing on spreading its wings in the Jammu region, referred to the failure of the government in conducting the civic polls.
The polls to civic agencies and town area committees have not been held since February 2010. Earlier, the polls were held in 2004, after a gap of more than two decades.
“Why is the government shying away from polls and the panchayats which were elected this year are without powers, there are no proper panchayat ghars (buildings), and the sanctity of the legislative assembly has already been eroded,” Sayeed said while lashing out at the government at a public rally in the border town of Ranbirsinghpora, 30 km from Jammu.
Sayeed regretted that “instead of addressing aspirations of the people, the present regime headed by the National Conference has been brazenly indulging in gimmicks for its survival”.
- Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and Kashmir - Aug 12, 2012
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- PDP scripted new chapter in Kashmir's history: Mufti - Mar 25, 2012
- Revocation of AFSPA inevitable: Mufti Sayeed - Nov 11, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed accuses National Conference of 'double standards' - Sep 24, 2011
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Mufti's call for government change in J&K; - May 26, 2012
- PDP to boycott Kashmir panchayat polls (Lead) - Dec 05, 2010
- Credibility of J&K; regime at lowest: Mufti - Sep 01, 2012
- Mufti lashes out at Omar government on development - Jul 03, 2011
- Omar spent three years saving chair: Mehbooba - Oct 17, 2011
- Mufti seeks boost for Kashmir economy - Dec 26, 2011
- 'Hydel agreements in Kashmir need renegotiation' - May 23, 2012
- Kashmir not a problem of mere stone pelting: Mufti Sayeed - Jul 30, 2011
- Pranab visits Kashmir on poll campaign - Jul 15, 2012
Tags: aspirations, border town, chief minister, civic agencies, civic polls, democratic institutions, democratic party, gap, gimmicks, jammu and kashmir, jammu region, kashmir, legislative assembly, mohammad, panchayat, panchayats, pdp, public rally, sanctity, sayeed