Mufti calls for regime change in Jammu and KashmirAugust 12th, 2012 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Aug 12 (IANS) The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Sunday gave a call for change of regime in Jammu and Kashmir, saying that the National Conference led-government of Omar Abdullah has failed the people.
“The change is must and it must happen soon,” said PDP patron and former chief minister Mufti Mohammad Sayeed at a rally here to mark the 13th foundation day of the party. He attacked the NC-led state government, in which the Congress is a partner. The state assembly elections are due end of 2014.
The previous PDP-Congress government had implemented its pro-people agenda and set an example of good governance, he claimed.
“I don’t indulge in self praise but the people have themselves realised that the previous PDP-Congress government had taken radical steps to solve day-to-day problems of the common masses and to bring transparency and accountability in the governance”, he said.
The former chief minister reminded the people that it was all due to its sincere efforts that the previous government had earned credibility among the people.
The PDP was founded 13 years ago in Srinagar. It had won 16 seats in the 2002 assembly polls but led the first-ever multi-party coalition government in the state. It raised its tally to 21 in the 2008 polls.
Mufti Sayeed said that the NC-led coalition regime has undermined the democratic institutions by not holding the block development council and district council polls nor has it held the urban bodies polls.
He claimed his party has an agenda for peace and development for the state.
He said the PDP has bigger agenda to solve internal and external dimensions of Kashmir problem and also the programmes and policies to provide basic amenities to the people Jammu, Kashmir and Ladakh.
- PDP government delivered better with only 16 legislators: Mehbooba - Dec 13, 2011
- Committed to equal growth in all Kashmir regions: PDP - Nov 30, 2011
- Credibility of J&K; regime at lowest: Mufti - Sep 01, 2012
- Kashmiris feeling alienated under Omar: Mufti - Jan 09, 2012
- Mufti lashes out at Omar government on development - Jul 03, 2011
- Mufti's call for government change in J&K; - May 26, 2012
- Mufti Sayeed accuses National Conference of 'double standards' - Sep 24, 2011
- PDP scripted new chapter in Kashmir's history: Mufti - Mar 25, 2012
- 'Coalition politics future governance mantra in India' - May 02, 2012
- 'Self-rule can negate adverse effects of partition' - Jul 07, 2011
- PDP hits out at Omar Abdullah over cross-voting - Apr 16, 2011
- Azad lambasts National Conference, PDP alike - Apr 19, 2012
- Mehbooba re-elected PDP president - Oct 31, 2011
- Omar has reduced AFSPA issue to gimmickry: Mufti - Nov 28, 2011
- Mufti Sayeed seeks civic polls in Kashmir - Dec 04, 2011
Tags: 13 years, assembly elections, assembly polls, chief minister, congress government, democratic institutions, external dimensions, foundation day, good governance, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, ladakh, mohammad, party coalition government, pdp, radical steps, regime change, sayeed, srinagar, state assembly