M.S.Gill supports Sikh leaders demand for Kartarpur CorridorSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 8:50 pm ICT by ANI
By Ravinder Singh Robin
Tarn Taran, September 3, (ANI): Union minister for Sports and Youth Affairs M.S.Gill has supported the Sikh leaders demand to provide a safe passage to the devotees to Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib situated in Pakistan as Kartarpur Corridor.
Speaking to media on Tuesday, after inauguration the drug de-addiction center at Tarn Taran, nearly 30 kilometers from Amritsar, Gill reiterated the demand of establishing a Pakistan visa centre in Amritsar and Lahore to felicitate travel for people of both sides.
He said that the establishment of a Visa center would prove to be a boon for the bus services plying between the two countries, provided both the governments agree to open visa consulate here.
Gill recalled the visit of the External Minister Pranab Mukherjee to Dera Baba Nanak in June to conduct a feasibility study for the construction of the much-demanded corridor from Dera Baba Nanak to Kartarpur Sahib, and hoped that Mukherjees visit would soon bear fruits.
Situated in Pakistans Narowal district, Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib is the place where Gurunank Dev spent over 18 years of his life. The place is nearly two miles from the International border between India-Pakistan and Indian pilgrims usually come to the border and pay obeisance while standing at the border line.
It has been Sikh pilgrims long pending demand for a safe passage to the Gurdwara Kartarpur Sahib from Dera Baba Nanak.
Sikhs have been demanding that an international corridor should be constructed that would make the Gurudwara accessible to Indian devotees in such a way that they can walk up to the Gurudwara and return on the same day. (ANI)
- Indian Sikh delegation in Pakistan calls for Kartarpur Sahib Corridor - Jun 08, 2010
- Sikh bodies ask Govt to include Kartarpur Corridor in Indo-Pak talks - Mar 03, 2011
- Sikhs urge corridor to Pakistan border shrine - Jul 03, 2010
- Blueprint for peace corridor between India and Pakistan - Nov 20, 2009
- Abolish visas, demand Sikh pilgrims to Pakistan - Sep 22, 2009
- Sikh pilgrims leave for Pakistan to attend Guru Nanak's death anniversary - Sep 21, 2009
- Sikh pilgrims in Lahore for Guru Nanak's death annivesary - Sep 22, 2009
- 1200 Indian Sikh pilgrims to celebrate 541st Guru Nanak birth anniversary in Pak - Nov 19, 2010
- 3,000 Indian Sikhs to visit Pakistan - Apr 11, 2011
- Sikhs converge at Gurdwara Taran Taran Sahib for Guru Arjan Dev's death anniversary - Jun 16, 2010
- Allow us without visas, Sikh pilgrims tell Pakistan (Second Lead) - Sep 22, 2009
- Sikh Jatha on a 10-day tour to Pakistan for Guru Nanak Devs death anniversary - Sep 18, 2008
- Sikh Jatha returns from Pakistan after observing 403rd Martyrs Day - Jun 17, 2009
- Remove India, Pakistan border restrictions: Sikh pilgrims - Nov 21, 2010
- 3,000 Sikhs to visit Pakistan on Baisakhi - Apr 04, 2012