MPA loses yet another ministerMarch 12th, 2009 - 8:22 pm ICT by ANI
Shillong (Meghalaya), Mar 12 (ANI): The Nationalist Congress Party (NCP)-led Meghalaya Progressive Alliance (MPA) government lost another minister on Thursday as Chief Minister Donkupar Roy declared that he would seek a vote of confidence in the state assembly on 17th March.
Health and Family Welfare Minister, Advisor Pariong, belonging to coalition ally Hill State Peoples Democratic Party (HSPDP) resigned from the government earlier in the day.
Meanwhile, Congress leader D D Lapang said he would move a no-confidence motion against Speaker B M Lanong when the assembly session begins on 16th March.
He has alleged that the Speaker “has apparently threatened members who have quit the MPA, saying on record that they could be disqualified”.
Lapang is also demanding resignation of Roy from his post after the MPA lost its majority on Wednesday, after two independents from Khun Hynniewtrep National Awakening Movement (KHNAM) Limison Sangma and Ismail R Marak withdrew their support.
The two MLAs are now in Congress.
The coalition government’’s strength has come down to 29 in a 60-member House. (ANI)
- Congress ally in Meghalaya to support new chief minister - Apr 19, 2010
- Sangma to be elected next Meghalaya chief minister - Apr 19, 2010
- No-confidence motion moved against Meghalaya government - Sep 12, 2011
- No threat to government: Meghalaya chief minister - Sep 13, 2011
- Lapang quits, Congress legislators to meet in Shillong (Lead) - Apr 18, 2010
- Sangma expands ministry, inducts eight - Apr 24, 2010
- Meghalaya CM urges coalition partners not to support Sangma - Jul 06, 2012
- Congress finalises list of ministers for Meghalaya - Apr 23, 2010
- Sangma to expand ministry Saturday - Apr 22, 2010
- Lapang admits losing majority support (Lead) - Apr 18, 2010
- Lapang resigns, Sangma to be sworn-in Tuesday (Lead) - Apr 19, 2010
- I will ensure coherence and unity in CLP: Sangma - Apr 20, 2010
- Mukul Sangma sworn in Meghalaya chief minister - Apr 20, 2010
- Four rebel MLAs disqualified in Meghalaya State Assembly - Apr 09, 2009
- Sangma heads to New Delhi to finalise his team - Apr 21, 2010
Tags: assembly session, chief minister, coalition government, confidence motion, congress leader, democratic party, family welfare, independents, ismail, marak, meghalaya, mlas, national awakening, nationalist congress party, ncp, progressive alliance, resignation, shillong, state assembly, vote of confidence