More UN patrols after rockets found near Israel borderDecember 26th, 2008 - 5:11 am ICT by IANS
Beirut, Dec 26 (DPA) The UN Interim Forces in southern Lebanon (UNIFIL) Thursday stepped up its patrols along the Lebanon-Israel border after Lebanese troops dismantled eight rockets that were apparently ready to be launched at northern Israel.”Our UN troops are on alert and our patrols are enhancing their movements at the borders after the Lebanese army dismantled the rockets,” UN spokeswoman Yasmina Bouziyan said.
The Lebanese Army found eight Katyusha rockets near Teir Harfa village, north of the border with Israel. It was not known who had planted the projectiles in the area controlled by a UN peacekeeping force and the Lebanese Army.
The area was a stronghold of the Iranian-backed Lebanese Shia movement Hezbollah until the 2006 war with Israel. The Hezbollah press office refused to comment on Thursday’s discovery.
The rockets were found as tension has increased in the Gaza Strip following the end of a truce between Israeli forces and Hamas.
- Four killed as Israel, Lebanon exchange fire (Second lead) - Aug 04, 2010
- UN force holds talks with Lebanese and Israeli armies - Aug 05, 2010
- Israel, Lebanon exchange fire on border - Aug 03, 2010
- Security Council renews mandate of UNIFIL - Aug 31, 2010
- UN extends peacekeeping mission in Lebanon - Aug 31, 2012
- Hezbollah says official was wounded, not killed in blast (Lead) - Oct 13, 2009
- Isreali army fires on Lebanese soldiers: Report - Sep 21, 2010
- Hezbollah denies having chemical weapons - Sep 05, 2012
- UN to discuss Israel-Lebanon border incident - Aug 05, 2010
- Army, UN forces find explosives in south Lebanon - Dec 27, 2009
- Lebanese Army fires at Israeli jets flying over Lebanon - Dec 30, 2009
- Hezbollah chief praises Israeli border clash as 'heroic' - Aug 04, 2010
- Lebanon, Israel exchange fires - Oct 28, 2009
- Ban expresses concern over situation in southern Lebanon - Jan 17, 2009
- Israel on alert for Syrian weapons - Jul 19, 2012